Laptop fan question.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by The Red Moon, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

And will save money over time.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I will have to invest in one of these. I really don't like having to disassemble a laptop just to get to the fan. Two laptops I had to do some work on recently had so much dust clogged up that they would only stay powered on for a few minutes at most before they go too hot and shut down. One had an easily accessible fan/vents - just two screws to undo, but the other one I had to pretty much take the whole laptop apart to get access - not that hard to do, but time consuming and annoying.

This vacuum is just what I need,

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Understand, it is a blower, not a vacuum. That's good as the air flow is concentrated into a blast that is much more effective at dislodging the heat trapping dust.

It still means you need to take the computer outside for blasting to prevent tossing up into the room (and your eyes, lungs and sinuses) all that dust, dirt, dander, microscopic critters that gorge on the dander, and the microscopic critter-poop they leave behind. :blink: :gack:

Finally, you still need to immobilize the fans while blasting as you can easily cause the fans to spin faster than design limits - which can result in excessive wear and tear, or damage to, seizing of the fan motor bearings. Wooden Popsicle sticks work great for this or you can get a bag of "craft sticks" at your local Hobby Lobby or hardware store.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It might be running for a reason.What's the cpu temp?.Coretemp can help you determine this.On some olderlaptops with dodgy nvidia chips,bios updates were issued that made the fan run continuously to deal with overheating in the dodgy graphics chips.Personally i would look at task manager and seeif anythings hogging cpu that may lead to fan running continuously.Also check advanced pwer options in control panel .

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

some laptops like hp for example have a setting in the bios for the fan to be "constant on" they will always run just at a slower speed then ramp up as temps increase.

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

On my desktop I was messing around with the bios and accidentally turned off the fans and the computer upon reboot said the fan was off and to have it serviced ASAP and that the computer would shut down to prevent any damage.

I tried to get into the BIOS setup (F11 on my machine) but was locked out for some unknown reason. Tried F8 and any thing else I could think of and still no Bios setup window.

I opened the computer up and pulled out the quarter size battery and I was able to get into the Bios setup window to turn the fans back on. I put the battery back in and everything was A-OK since then.

May be some one could use this odd info some day. :D

EDIT: I forgot to stipulate that the machine must be unplugged and you must ground yourself when sticking your hand into the belly of the beast.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ok ive changed the settings to what is pictured.

Attached Files:

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You computer will run slower now, because you are using settings designed to give longer battery life. If you go to start menu, and then right click on Computer and go to Properties, under Processor: you will see the speed of your CPU, and what speed it is actually running at. Most likely it will be running at a slower speed.

9. The Red Moon

Not to worry roger.Ive changed it back.:thumb:

10. The Red Moon

Just a little update on my situation on this.I have noticed a dramatic change ever since i removed comodo internet security and BD trafficlight browser extension.
    The fan is a lot quieter now.:thumb:

11. guest

guest Guest

Wow :D .. seems to be the tool to have! :thumb: - Does anyone know where to acquire such a fine piece of "blow cleaner" outside of US, especially in Germany (or maybe Europe)?

It really makes a difference to clean your system once a while. I used normal vacuum cleaner together with a clyster (for blowing cpu cooler free from dust and then suck it away with vacuum cleaner) so far, but this device really seems to be the definition of clean, if you do it outside! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.