Laptop as a Firewall Gateway Questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GrammatonCleric, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

My laptop has two network cards with two plugs and I was thinking of using it as a IDS / Firewall.
    I know that there is a software firewall OS that I can load on the laptop that will include virus scanning / firewall etc functionality. I know it runs on Linux and is a dedicated IDS/Firewall OS.
    However I forgot what it's called. Can someone help me out with a reputable one?

Also can someone advise me on this network architecture configuration?
    I was planning on running this:
    Comcast Cable Modem to Lappy (acting as a firewall) then lappy to Linksys 54G DD-WRT acting as a WiFi bridge then two additional Linksys 54G's with DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware acting as repeaters so I can have strong signal per each floor of my house.

Currently I have the Linksys's configured and had them running fine for months however now my configuration is Comcast Cable Modem to the first Linksys and then the others as repeaters, I don't know how much issues would be throwing the laptop as the network filter. Would I experience routing issues? Mainly I want a good IDS / gateway with automatic viral filters that could act as the first line of anti-malware defense and using different AV engine before the malware hits the home desktops.

Thanks!
  2. sparviero

sparviero Registered Member

3. GrammatonCleric

I recall there used to be a FREE for Home Use BSD or Linux based Firewall / Ad blocker and Anti-malware scanning gateway software that could be loaded as a single purpose OS on old PC.

However the company also sold lic for corporate users so it was well mantained. It's name escapes me and that's what I am trying to find. :(
  4. GrammatonCleric

Is there a software package that I can run in Windows that will turn my old lappy into a Anti-Malware and firewall gateway?
  5. sbcc

sbcc Guest

6. EternalFunction

EternalFunction Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.