Languy99 tests, how reliable ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Also almost everyone knows about MDL, what testers need to do it get their samples from the lesser or known malware URL collection sites. The video watchers also need to verify malware some how.

Say I were the head researcher for a malware lab, I could hourly go to MDL and blacklist each of the sites causing everytime someone youtube tests my product I could get a great blocking score. Now then again some of those sites may have been FP's so if I fix one then the tester goes to it and downloads it I get a fail for the URL. Now I am sure this was discussed somewhere before but I figure I would bring it back up into this.

Now I am not bashing YouTube tests, I use them to check the simplicity from a app but you can not put all your trust into these test.

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

very nicely said :thumb:

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Why not? coz at MDL you can get the time when that malware been active

4. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

You haven't understood me... I said these listed malware are not Zero day .. You can say that either these are fairly new or ITW malwares.

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I am pretty sure if languy sent a request to prevx ...he would have received a test key or something. why prevx dont need to give any 14 days or 30 daystrial? it works...period and they know it .. we know it. it keeps system fast.. prevents keeping malware away.. they will even help remove anything if the software miss.. Who can beat it? sorry got a lil carried away..

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I'm really disappointed in the comments on this thread. Languy99 to me appears to be someone who is trying to educate and to help. He has stated that no one is paying him and I certainly haven't seen any Security advertising on his space. So could it be that he is spending his time in an effort to steer non malware geeks away from inferior products? And if he's not being paid perhaps he does these videos simply because he is kind?

On the Net bashers predominate- I suppose it is much easier to criticize than in the spirit of altruism to instruct. I was hoping that the Wilders community was a cut above.

Guess that feeling was sadly misplaced.

7. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

What do you want to see ?
    Someone "testing" out some malwares and see if he could spot them with the Task Manager ?

Do you really think most & latest malware is so lame to be glittering there in taskman ? Most malware is run&quit. Someone checking out if he's clean using only the task manager is a joke, not even worth a thread in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

You surely are right there :).

He always says: at a firewall alert I just press allow. He indeed does that with Outpost and ZoneAlarm and so on, but not with Comodo.
    But who cares, I never watch his Comodo videos. He was even "testing" those ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ Comodo System Cleaner and Uninstaller tools which are absolutely compelete junk, without any doubt. If someone of Comodo is defending those products he will lose all his credibility in one second.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

These Youtube tests are nothing scientific, but if you're familiar with the program, you can extract quite some useful info from these videos, mostly how programs behave when detection occurs.

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

RejZoR agree. YouTube entertainment, people shouldn't think too much into it.

11. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

While it's good that Languy uses his time for "educating" people, he should do it well, without misleading people or he shouldn't do it at all.
    He still tests Comodo "correctly" like an advanced user; as a Comodo mod he Sandboxes and blocks all malware. If he really allowed something in OA then it's a sign of being biased.
    Indeed.

12. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Languy99 (just as any other software reviewer on youtube) allows us (regular people with some knowledge on computers, without virtual machines nor powerful systems nor tweaked OS) to see how a product looks like and how it interacts with the end user.

If you don't like to hear his comments about this program being better than that other one, just turn off your speakers.

He is not a technician, nor a security advisor nor a major leagues security software programmer. So his reviews must be taken as a general preview of the program. Not an in-depth performance/detection/cleanup test.

So please. Let's hope a mod comes around soon to close this thread. Irrelevant IMO.

13. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Enough said on the subject. Thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.