Languy reviews and testing on zero day malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mack_guy911, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

VMWare does have a video recording function (i've never tried it)

2. progress

progress Guest

Nice tests - Avira, Avast and AVG failed - MBAM seems to be the winner ...

3. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

From his CIS vs Online Armor++ vid, he uses Camtasia as his vid recording program.

@ance
    Though his videos are nice for a general overview, don't be mislead by them as a full-fledged review. He doesn't test some of the more advanced capabilties (like for Avast, I'm sure it would've caught a be more during the boot time scan), and he sometimes rushes things due to video time constraints (less than 10 minutes each vid).

MBAM does really well, and I like it a lot also. But like many others, I advise a security suite o a layered approach of different apps that emulates or goes beyond a regular suite. Personally, I use antivirus, firewall (hardware and software), antispyware (multiple apps), HIPS, and browser protection additions. I believe each layer catches different things (though his review of CIS on high settings did prevent ALL items from touching the system-- but again, he usually doesn't do max settings). I think one of his most recent vidoes test one of many layered-approach combination.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. firehands13

firehands13 Registered Member

The vids are cool from the standpoint that you get to see the GUI, settings features, and how it reacts when it encounters a threat. Besides that, there is not much to be taken from it about a products overall performance or effectiveness.

5. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

I think he uses Camtasia.

6. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Not surprising ofcourse that N360 v4 with SONAR provided perfect detection in his test. NIS2010 is after all Product of the Year and N360 v4 is built on the NIS2010 codebase.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

8. mack_guy911

strange results

Antivir Premium V10 is one of best antivirus

i got avira on my astaro security gateway it never miss a single one

and i also blocked all exe default expect the sites i download from so they trigger fast than antivirus

what happen here i see lack of firewall lack of hips/sandbox not good web scanning but it may be due to default

i hope if its made combo with CIS 4 without antivirus and set it well rather than default it give good results

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. m0unds

m0unds Guest

not trying to be a jerk here, but is it possible for you to contribute to a thread without either praising symantec products like some sort of zombie or bashing products that aren't built by symantec? i'm all about supporting software manufacturers and developers, but it almost borders on thread-crapping.

...just sayin'.

at any rate, i really enjoy these malware testing videos. i'm not sure why they amuse me so much, but i can kill quite a bit of time watching them at work.

10. mack_guy911

agree with you m0unds :thumb:
    i didnt started this thread to make a vs b or a is better than b but i like the videos of that languy99

i put this thread to make improvement by give them combo setup and tweaking in those security software who lack in some fields

secondly he test them on default mode without tweaking and adding additional security

let take the KIS example

i use KIS without firewall + outpost firewall pro (i use outpost firewall because i find it easy to tweak than KIS firewall)

i set web security to maximum + outpost with max security tweaked and then i run firefox under KIS sandbox environment now

kis scan tool-bar scan web traffic in firefox miss one malware it will run in sandbox also stop by kis hips if missed 99% outpost give me a trigger even if that passes its still in sandbox so still you get very good security and after that if you put geswall you put one more layer in it

now let take second case avast + CIS they both work good because at CIS mode i mean firewall mode packet are been checked by default so it give enough time for antivirus to trigger alarm most of time if it got signatures of it database try it without firewall you get different result + if you add sandboxie and geswall you pass all

now what is need to be made by antivirus companies is that not just a good antivirus + firewall suite which are just based on database but make a kinda mix of all things at all layer defense if one misses then second is there to make you feel safe

security is not like you just install a software and sleep all safe its need tweaking according to needs that what keep you safe

i got astaro security gateway UTM if dont use its proxy feature like blocking all bad sites and extensions ips ...........many other on gateway mode before reaching to my real computer and use it default and download some stupid file and blame on astaro its mine stupidity

last not least my cousin use her laptop just to check yahoo mails and to go to some safe corporate sites till date no infection she uses avira + free outpost

safety=60% depend on user 39% on tweaks and combo of hardware/software 1% bad luck

11. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I doubt that even a small percentage of those samples are "zero-day". Nonetheless, it proves that signature scanning alone is not a effective way to protect a machine (9/10 is not a good score, it still missed one, which led to a infected computer).

12. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

actually just found out he is the same guy that visits another forum i am on aswell.......either way had a few im's with him the other day and he is atleast aware of a website that provides VERY fresh samples

either way i let him know about this thread, maybe he'll come say hello for you guys :)

13. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Wow, man was I fooled. I guess I thought that people had quit watching these "reviews"

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I like these reviews- don't get me wrong. But why is Languy's reviews able to be posted on this site when others were told not to? I'm sure this Languy is a decent person, but his methodology is no different than what was banned. Why the double standard?

15. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Merely because we did not catch that someone bumped this thread from December. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.