LAN update edition help

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by catprincess, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Hi all,

I have a multi-user license but have just been using the standard edition of NOD. Since I was upgrading to the new version 2.7 I decided to download the LAN update edition. I want the computer I'm using to download the updates and my other computer to get the updates from this computer. They are connected to each other via a crossover cable and are both running LAN update edition.

However I'm confused with all the different NOD versions. I tried reading the thread about remote and enterprise editions but I couldn't find a thread on LAN update edition. I don't consider my setup to be remote (the two computers are in the same room).

I created a mirror on this computer and that seemed to go fine but when I set up the update server on the other computer to update from my mirror it asks for a username and password to connect. My NOD username and password are entered by default but it won't accept these. I thought maybe it was asking for a network password but there was no password. I made the mirror inside my shared documents folder and the other computer has access to that without a password.

Am I doing something wrong or am I using the wrong version of NOD for my situation? I'm probably missing something really simple here.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

2. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Hello,

tried this?

did your secound pc update per http or windows file share?

btw. you didn'd need a secound update server, on the other clients it's enough to install the standard version.

Regards

3. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Hi MegaChip,

Yes, the thread you posted the link to is the one I have been following. I wasn't sure whether the same instructions applied as I don't have enterprise edition or remote administrator so I just started from the creating the mirror section.

I am trying to get the second PC to update via a shared windows folder. I have made the mirror in C:\Mirror on the first PC and then changed the server on the second PC to \\PC1\Mirror
    where PC1 is the name of the first computer. Maybe this isn't the correct way to type the server path?

Also, I don't know whether this makes a difference or not, but the first PC is not a true server as such. It's not running a server O/S. It's the computer that controls my internet connection but other than that it's identical to PC 2.

I am downloading the standard version for PC2 at the moment now that I know it doesn't need the LAN version.

Thanks,
    Catprincess

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  4. Megachip

Hi,

you didn't need a Server OS to run NOD32 Update Edition...

did u use the right login as Marcos described here? (Workgroup/username or domain/username)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The LAN server is a component of the Enterprise Edition. Enterprise Edition also includes RAS and RAC..but they are only needed if you want to manage the server from another workstation, such as your desktop PC..be it across the network or across the world through a VPN. You can certainly run the LAN update server all by itself.

The update server can update your clients via 2x methods....
    UNC..which is basically windows file share
    and
    http

The http method really is much easier, and smoother...recommend you take that approach.

Both can have username/passwords used...however, you don't necessarily need username/passwords. Although I can envision some shared networks where you might want this. Remember though..that the user/pass in this situation is one that you create...it's not related to the user/pass that Eset e-mails you with your license. The user/pass that Eset gives you (the AV-blahblahblah) is for your PC(s) to update from their public servers, and for you to download the program from their servers.

6. Megachip

IMOH you get also a LAN Server if u buy a volume licenseo_O

4 UNC you need a password :(

7. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I have now changed the server on the second PC from \\PC1\Mirror
    where PC1 is the name of the first computer to \\WORKGROUP\PC1\Mirror
    Now I get a message that says server connection failure when trying to update the client pc. Is this because I don't have a password? Megachip says I need one, YeOldeStonecat says I don't, as for me well I just have no clue haha. The reason there is no password is because I couldn't find any option to password protect the share after I created it and just assumed I could do this without a password.

I am trying to do this via UNC. I don't quite understand why I would need to use http for this considering the computers are physically connected to each other in the same room.

Thank you both for you help.

8. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Sorry Megachip. I forgot to mention I read the page you linked to. My computers aren't on a domain but they are on a workgroup so I put the name of the workgroup in place of domain as you can see above. Perhaps this isn't what I was supposed to do though?

9. Megachip

NoNo ;)

in Updateserver u should insert "\\PC1\Share" and when it ask for username and password you should try "pc1\user" and the password...

this work 4 me (but i'm in a domain)... mounting als netdrive doesn't work, as macros said...

if this doesn't work, try to check to open in explorer...

I didn't know if nod supports subdirs...

I've share my mirror dir as \\PC\NOD32_UPD ... open in explorer u would see update.ver, nod6554.nup, nod7A48.nup ... etc...
    Add "\\PC\NOD32_UPD" to serverlist, he ask me 4 password where i must enter "domainname\username" ...
    u could try "PC1\username"

hope this help

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

All problems will go away if you enable update via HTTP in the NOD32 mirror setup and set the clients to update from http://computer_hostname:port (default port is 8081, but can be customized in the advanced mirror setup). Instead of the computer hostname you can specify its IP address.

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I concur with Marcos and YeOld - use httpd method - it's going to save you a lot of torn out hair. The whole basic windows hosting method is a gum and string networking setup by M$ anyway - or - as I prefer to call it... JUNK! ;)

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Yes there are several ways to get the LAN edition...but the OP appeared to be under the wrong impression probably from the many Enterprise Edition or SBS Bundle threads here..where RAS and RAC are mentioned.

UNC user/pass is strictly up to how you have your network setup..you can indeed have shares in Windows networks that do not require user/pass...permissions are on the OS level, not NOD32.

13. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I have done as you suggested Megachip and it seems to have accepted the username and password now. NOD came up with a message telling me there were no new updates which is true as PC2 had just updated itself recently from the internet before I switched it to update from the mirror server. I will wait until PC1 is updated next and check PC2 to see if it has also updated. So far so good though.

If this doesn't work I will try the http method that YeOldeStonecat, Marcos and webyourbusiness recommend.

Thank you everyone for your help.

14. Megachip

possible, but if i open the share with explorer, he doesn't ask 4 a password (share access is set 4 everyone) and if i try with nod i must insert a username and password

15. catprincess

catprincess Guest

The same thing happens to me too Megachip. I can view the share without entering username and password in explorer but NOD wants a username and password to access it.

I am now able to get the second computer to update if I do it manually. It doesn't seem to be remembering the username and password. I'm not sure where I'm meant to go to tell it to and whether this is something I have to set on PC1 or PC2.

16. Megachip

Try to save/insert username and password (in PC2, which updates from PC1) in setup where u choose the update server, than nod32 should remember it.

On PC1, which updates from ?internet/nod? you should insert your account data from eset.

Regards

17. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I followed your instructions Megachip and its working now. :) Thanks so much for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.