Labels aim to shiver pirates' timbers

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Smokey, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Labels aim to shiver pirates' timbers.

Some of the world's largest record labels are quietly financing the creation of programs by small software firms that, if implemented, would sabotage the computers and Internet connections of people who download pirated music, according to a published report.
    Citing industry executives, The New York Times reported in an article that appeared on its Web site on Saturday, that the efforts bear varying degrees of legality including attacking a computer's Internet connection to slow or halt downloads and overwhelming distribution networks with programs that masquerade as music files.

"There are a lot of things you can do--some quite nasty," the Times quoted Marc Morgenstern, chief executive of software company Overpeer, as saying. The company receives support from several large media companies, it said.

If large record labels introduce the programs, it would be the most aggressive tactic yet in the music piracy wars by the recording industry, which has claimed that music piracy costs it more than $4 billion in annual sales worldwide.

Last month a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled that file-sharing services Grokster and Morpheus were not guilty of copyright infringement.

The Times said approaches under development range from relatively modest in degree to quite severe.

One method is a "Trojan horse" program that simply redirects users to Web sites where they can legitimately buy the songs they had tried to download.

Another locks up a computer for a certain amount of time, minutes or hours, risking the loss of data that was not saved if the user restarts the computer, the paper reported.

The industry's big five labels--Vivendi's Universal Music Group, AOL Time Warner's Warner Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Bertelsmann's BMG and EMI Group--have all backed the development of counterpiracy programs, according the industry executives, but none would discuss details publicly, the paper reported.

Source: Reuters

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

LOL THERE BEEN DOING IT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW LOL

I cought one of the little bugers trying to load sub 7'S lol

this is how they do it they load all kinds of nastys on to a server hooked up to win mx andother shareing apps

when you look into there share folder you will see something strange lol all the files are the same size lol

movies mp-3's ect ect

funny as hell lol i pm the server and was hopeing there was an administartor watching it so i could ask does any one actualy fall for that lol

first thing when useing a share app have the best protection second thing look threw there share folder if the files say incomplet or are all the same exact size lol its holly wood trying to destroy you pc

and no im not kiding im not jokeing its very real and its old news

you have to remember are goverment gave them the right to act as a private police

and under the new bill they can do wha5t ever they want to protect there music or files lol

how ever if virus writers go to jail for destroying private property shouldnt the music industry for practicing same methodes lol

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Nice question for a nice discussion! :D

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I do agree with Mr Blazers on this one; otherwise vigilante justice of all sorts should be the accepted norm!!

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I agree entirely with your and Sir Blaze's point of view!

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

personaly i dont get it the internet was meant for fredom of information wither it be words literture or media

hollywood now trying to muscle in and literly owen it

however i can also at same time understand why artist deserve to get payed for there hard work

i think it should be this way every one in the world that owens a winmx or a kazaa ect ect has to pay two bucks a month and thats it all money goes to artist devided evenly

i belive theres a place that charges you money for useing peoples music in your music and the money goes to royaltys for the artist

why cant they do that

think about it one big company that takes care of maitince for file shareing programs for 2 dollars a month no qustions asked

every one in the world just two dollars a month that make sure every one got payed they have no buisness on the net anyways

check it out mp3 swe avi all these formats for pc are in itself unike

and are free of charge

but now holly wood wants every one to pay money and at same time wants to use formats they dont owen to disribute there content with out haveing to pay companys or inventors that created formats like ogg swf wav mp3 and so on

im sorry thats just wrong

big companys like holly wood want to get payed then so should the inventors of the formats like mp3

why should hollywood get payed and eat there cake to lol

for normal users or small companys that distribute things freely there should be no charge for distributing content since it none profit endevor

but for big companys like holly wood they should pay the software makers period cause i find it unfair that they want people to pay for music thats not in a licenced format they even created

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.