Kudos to Acronis & TI8!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timos, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timos

timos Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Well, I'm singing the praises of TI8 today!

I have been trying to test TI’s Rescue Restore functionality without much success. In general, things seemed a little flaky and slow with the user interface when run from the Rescue disk (see my previous post for details).

I have also been trying to figure out the best way to split my 80GB primary partition (C drive) so that I can separate my OS from my data. I decided that using Partition Magic was the best approach (it has a split partition feature).

Even though I didn’t have a great deal of confidence in my TI backup (mostly because I couldn’t adequately test the recovery process), I decided to take the plunge and proceed with repartitioning my C drive.

When changing partitions on the C drive, Partition Magic will reboot to DOS to complete the requested changes. PM got through about 65% of its DOS batch processing and then died with an "out of memory" error. As one might expect, my PC was left unbootable (my C drive was hosed). After many unsuccessful attempts at booting/recovering my system, I whipped out my handy TI Rescue disk and rebooted.

The interface came up without incident. This time (unlike my previous attempts to test restore), everything worked perfect. There was no hesitation in the program or strange hang-ups. It seems that when TI detects that the C drive is hosed, it works differently (I don’t know why).

The bottom line is this, the Rescue restore worked just as advertised. It restored my entire 80GB HD (from my external HD) in about 1.25 hours. My system rebooted just as though nothing had ever happened. I know TI is not a perfect product but for me, today, it was – it really saved my butt!

If anyone would like more detail regarding my experience, please let me know.

Below is a description of my computing environment:

* TrueImage version: 8.0 build 764
    * PC: Dell Dimension XPS B866r (866 MH w/ 512MB RAM)
    * Operating System: Windows 98SE w/ latest service packs and know patches
    * Internal hard drive: Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 (connected via Promise Ultra/133
    PCI controller; one partition)
    * External hard drive: Maxtor 160GB OneTouch (connected via ADS Firewire
    PCI controller; two partitions D & E)

Regards… timos

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  2. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

Right on brother! TI has gotten me out of more than 1 bad situation and that's why I'm here! *puppy*

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Timos,

I'm really happy it worked for you ! :)

I have a question:
    Did you password-protected your backup-image?
    If so: Were you able to restore that password-protected backup-image using the rescue disk?

Thanks, Jan.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Fanj

Is that a question just for Build Ti8, Jan.

If not, I password protected all my backup Images, and restore using the Rescue BootDisk with no problem, the only warning I every get is if after putting in the password I click OK with the mouse, saying incorrect Password.

If I press the enter key after putting it in I never get a warning. [providing it is correct]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi TheQuest ! :D

Yes, it is more or less a question regarding TI-8 (but also for the latest build of TI-7).

At the moment I haven't yet bought an upgrade to TI-8 (haven't decided yet what to do...).

Of course I would like to password protect my backup-images (like I used to do in TI-6).
    But at the previous version of TI-7 I was NOT able to use my keyboard while booting from the bootable floppies to restore an image: so that feature was useless for me :(
    I posted about it here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41441
    Another topic about it for example is here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43281

So: I really hope that Acronis has fixed this !!!

Warm regards, Jan.

6. timos

timos Registered Member

To Jan,

I did not use password protection on my backup images - sorry I can't help.

Regards... timos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.