Kubuntu 9.10 awsome!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Durad, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

In the old days you had the paid Mandrake Club who had influence on the development of Mandrake. From my point of view Mandriva always acted as a corporation and never like a foundation giving it a closed character. Therefore you can't really compare it with old foundations like Debian or newer foundations like openSUSE and Fedora.

Very true. Even though Ubuntu itself was a welcome addition in the Linux world they really need to contribute more in the near future.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Pfft, common Sputnik, everyone knows Suse sucks.

Seriously though, i think both Shuttleworth and Linux said something about this that pretty much ended that debate. I'll see if i can find that.

3. Sputnik

Shuttleworth and Linus (Torvalds) you mean?

You're right Pedro, openSUSE sucks and so do I :D

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Nah, you don't suck. :)
    Yes, but separate interviews of course. I don't think i'm going to find the Linus one though, i give up :blink:

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Kubuntu as a good KDE distro has finally landed I feel. 9.10 is very good. I can see no reason why this now can't compete with Suse and Mandriva in the kde market. With kernel 2.6.31, ext4 and the brilliant new 4.3.2 Kubuntu just flies. There's a nice set of apps and generally feels right. I like packagekit, it was always quite slow and clunky in Fedora but this is quick, responsive and easy to navigate. You have all the usual suspects - k3b, amarok etc. Install opera and vlc and you have a beautiful, quick and relatively light qt desktop experience.
    Ubuntu could do worse than swith to kde in future for the main distro. KDE4 has come of age.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:eek:
    :p
    LOL

7. Sputnik

@Longboard
    Gnome fan huh?! :p ;) Personally I like KDE4 simply because of the QT libraries. They're a bliss for our programmers and very well documented. Though I have to admit that the 4.0.x and 4.1.x releases were below standard, however with the current releases it should work at least as well like the 3.5.x versions.

8. Durad

Durad Registered Member

They both works nice, however, KDE looks 10 times better than GNOME.

9. Sputnik

Triggered by the 2010 release of Mandriva I've been taking a look on their website and downloaded the (fully open-source) x64 Free DVD. Their internal organization seems better then the years before, although they're not an foundation I like their Cooker project.

You learn something everyday... :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.