Kubuntu 11.10 - some niggles.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Still busy setting up and installing software. So far I have noticed the following minor niggles.

1. Abiword - Print preview doesn't work "No application registered as handling this file".
    (Maybe it's looking for some gtk app. like evince - I don't know.)
    2. Tooltips - black text on black background in LibreOffice. Easily fixed by going to System Settings>Application Appearance>Colo(u)rs and choosing another background.
    3. Handbrake not in repos. and only available as nightly snapshot from the site. Will have to wait till stable release.
    4. In the System log viewer one is supposed to be able to add log files from /var/log/ Sure they open, but are not added to the list of log files for easy future access.
    5. Printing from Kate is no good at all. Margins are not remembered and text is cut off at the page end.

Some other niggles have already been mentioned by tlu (Muon Software Center).

Contrary to expectations this is the fastest distro of those that I have - especially boot time.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. tlu

tlu Guest

On kubuntuforums.net I've read that the 64bit version is affected by not displaying 32bit packages (and Skype is one of them).

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Java dilemma. I tried the Oracle jre7u1 x64 version. It works perfectly in Opera 11.52
    but not in Firefox. The plugin is simply not loaded and I tried all possible soft links:-
    (As you can see I installed to /opt)

ln -s /opt/java/jre1.7.0_01/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    ln -s /opt/java/jre1.7.0_01/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
    ln -s /opt/java/jre1.7.0_01/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

I didn't bother placing the plugin directly into ~/.mozilla/plugins as this previously crashed the browser in Vbox.

After removal of Oracle's jre I tried Openjdk. That works with Firefox but Opera doesn't do
    the icedtea plugin. Furthermore I need java to run the infoslipsviewer (.ifs) in order to view
    certain statements, but it will only work with Oracle's jre.

So, in the meantime my best option is to re-install Oracle's java, but it would be nice if it
    would also work with Firefox 7.01. (All on Kubuntu 11.10)

So far nobody has confirmed this.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Ocky, have you tried

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Perhaps that helps.

I haven't installed java at all. But I've seen that the repos now also contain openjdk-7. Did you try that version? And isn't that a good replacement for Oracle java?

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

tlu, regarding Openjdk, see my previous post. I will continue to see what I can do about java.

Another batch of questions for you. :D

AkonadiTray. I don't use any of the programs associated with this. Can I safely stop it via the hidden icon in the system tray ? Or, should I just leave it running as it doesn't seem to
    affect my systems response speed in any way ?

Nepomuk File Indexing. Disable it, or leave it for the same reason as above ?

KOrganizer Reminder Daemon. Untick 'Enable' - What is this, man ? I use a diary - pen and paper stuff. :)

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, I saw that but I wasn't sure if you tried openjdk-6 or -7 which might make a difference ...

I don't use them as I don't use any applications that need the Akonadi framework (I use Thunderbird with Lightning instead). I suggest that you read http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi . It explains how to disable Akonadi if not needed. I think Nepomuk is also disabled if you install the kubuntu-low-fat-settings package.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I had installed openjdk-7, this works in Firefox but not in Opera. Also it doesn't load my
    infoslipsViewer required for important statements.
    At present I have installed both jre-6u29 and jre-7u1.
    These both work fine in Opera but not in Firefox.
    With the jre-6u29 I am able to display the encrypted infoslips in Firefox, but
    not with jre-7u1.
    So my main problems are solved as I don't need java for Firefox as long as
    I can display those infoslips.
    Seeing that I have installed both the aforementioned jre's, I am pointing Opera to
    jre-7u1.
    The only other niggle is that LibreOffice wants to download the whole openjdk caboodle
    if I select the libreoffice-java package. In 11.04 this was not the case.
    Not important.
    BTW. I see someone is also frustrated with java installs - under the software section
    of the Kubuntu forums.

Thank you for the Akonadi link. I think I will disable it. I apologise for not having found
    it by myself, but being new to Kubuntu, I need to still find my bearings as to where
    to find information, that despite my having bookmarked the site right from the start.
    I should be ashamed of myself. :argh:

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Chin up, Ocky, there's really no grounds for that! :)

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Any of you Kubuntu guys notice this problem with LibreOffice?

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, see point 2) of post #1 :)

Are you using Kubuntu vasa1 ?

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks for replying!

I saw it the day you posted and promptly forgot the contents but remembered about the thread.

No, I'm with vanilla Ubuntu but, without realizing it, I commented on that guy's problem offering my "convoluted" solution which was based on the vanilla Ubuntu.

Now, I'm going to link him up to this thread :D

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Something to be aware of in Kubuntu 11.10.

The Meta (Windows) key is Alt+F1
    Leave as is because a number of effects make use of the (real) Meta key eg.

Zoom desktop:-
    Meta +=
    Meta +O

In order to get the Meta key to work in 11.10 go to System settings>Input>Advanced>
    Alt/Win key behaviour and tick "Add the standard behaviour to Menu key"

(As far as i remember I didn't have to do this in Kubuntu 11.04).

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Your fix worked for him and he says he added it to the bug report :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.