Kristal Safe Way 2012 [0.0.0.x Beta]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kardokristal, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupo

kupo Registered Member

It's increasing, and when I tested it in IE9, it's working well. Waiting for your next release. :)

2. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi skudo12,

Thank you for the results. It is good to know that i can add Waterfox browser to the Protected Applications list. It is added to list in next release.

I also have this week a little bit harder because last 2 weeks in school where i learn Information Technology (at the moment i am at 3rd course and this is also last. After 2 weeks my time is a little bit limited because of 5 months practice in Estonian IT company but i I develop my program at this moment Kristal Safe Way as much as possible - every day if possible).

I wish you successful exams week :)

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

3. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hello,

I have some news about our Kristal Safe Way.

We also open new topic about our new product called Kristal Theft Protect.

Kristal Safe Way is now updated to version 2012 [0.0.0.4 Beta].

Added features: Now you can add up to 10 custom applications/folders under Protected Applications list.

Another feature is USB Protect. (USB protect) protects you against malware which try to come automatically via USB devices/flash drives.

Also is fixed GUI issue.

Our website is fully updated to latest versions & you can find downloads from our website: http://www.kristalsecurity.com

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Waiting for that :D

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Bug report, if Kristal Safe Way is running, you will not be able to reboot/shutdown unless you force restart or close it manually.
    Second, I can't get USB protect to work. What does it do? If I enabled it, it's asking me to shutdown, but as I said in the first report I can't reboot. If i force restart, usb protect shows as disable, (because the button didn't change from enable to disable)

6. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hello skudo12,

Thank you for report.

You mean no be able to reboot/shutdown Kristal Safe Way program or overall computer?

Restart is required for overall computer.

First try to Enable USB Protect, click Apply & then Restart your computer.
    If this done then USB Protect should be Enabled and USB Protect activated.

USB Protect acts like Autorun. USB Protect block malware which try to come from USB drives auutomatically when inserted to computer.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Overall computer, I have to close force close Kristal safe way.

Does that mean that if I tried to run a file manually from the usb, it will execute?

8. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi,

Okay, i´ll try to find out what causes your problem.

Yes, it´s correct - when you run manually then file will execute.
    USB Protect just protect you against automatic execution of malware from USB devices. If you like feature that deny also manual execution then just tell me and if yes - then i will try to develop it to program.

You tried also our new product Kristal Theft Protect? I opened topic and you can find it from here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=316375

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hi Kardo...
    you are very young, even younger than my son :)...it's from your site
    Full respect for you for all things what you are doing. It's very interesting and important.

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Well if it's possible, but I you could just add it with the current Kristal Safe Way :D

11. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi ichito,

Thank you! :)

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

12. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi skudo12,

I´ll do my best to add this feature to Kristal Safe Way 2012 product.

Also i just made Kristal Safe Way 2012 prevention test and it is available on youtube now. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/X-KvKyZqDNQ

Watch it in full screen for better quality.
    I will hope that someone else also make prevention
    tests with Kristal Safe Way 2012.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'll have to take a look at the video, when I can.

In the meantime, I noticed you mentioned that you use malc0de as your source. I hope you don't mind asking why using that specific source?

You could also go a bit further perhaps, by making use of Phishtank database.

-https://www.phishtank.com/developer_info.php
    -https://www.phishtank.com/api_info.php

That's for phishing protection, though. But, maybe a good addition, considering browser's own protection is far from perfect, according to an article I read from Zscaler. These lists, such as malc0de, MDL, etc., are actually better; provide an overall better protection.

Phishing protection is also very important. :ninja:

What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well Wilders folks, lets help Kristal with his release planning.

1. Drive by download protection
    a) Option to add custom programs - check & done :thumb:
    I think it is great, because it provides Windows Internal access protection for all downloads (e.g. like 1806 does for IE/Chrome/Live Mail). It is a selective deny execute (only for executables coming from internet) based on the OS internal access control list, SMART!

b) Option to add USB drives (besides deny autorun, also add a icacls deny execute for all). Still on the wish list :D

==> two most vulnarable sources covered :thumb:

2. SMART Internet protection
    Internet explorer Smart Screen filter has (until now) both URL protection and download protection, it checks in the cloud. Kristal can never beat this cloud check up due to limited resources
    :blink:

Google's crawls thousends of websites a day, feeding the safe browsing servers on their data centers around the world. When one uses Chrome browser this protection can be enabled. In the furture Chrome will be providing download protection also. Chrome downloads the first hashed part of an URL and checks whether it is a suspicious URL (making this check awfull fast), when it is on this list, it contacts the server to check whether it is malware or phising. Small client data base with large server side cloud check, makes it an effective protection mechanism. Kristal can never beat this dual mechanism (build in browser local check with cloud details)
    :blink:

==> Impossible to beat competitive solutions

Alternative browser protection solution

First Kristal has to define its design philosophy (outlines your strategic position based on your strengths and weaknesses).

Design principal 1:
    Being a one man band operation I have to use third party resources

Design principal 2:
    Make "OS build", third party and cloud in protection now only available for techies and nerds ALSO available to noobs and average Joe/Jane

Design principal 3:
    User friendly, simple GUI with few user choices

My suggestion for your "Kristal safe way browsing companion".
    a) Check location of PC, choose best FREE DNS service with phising protection in the neigbourhood, e.g. Norton DNS, Open DNS, Comodo DNS, Google DNS and the corresponding setup DNS lookup after user confirms.

:thumb: Now we have a basic phising protection established, helping NOOBS to get the free protection NERDS install manually

b) Use phistank, malware dowmain and malc0de data to set up a local data base which contains only entries FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS. Reasons
    1. It keeps your local data base small and efficient

2. Closes the 'zero day' gap for any webservice protection a user may have (build in the browser, third party add-on or Anti Virus software). Off course this is a bit of bold statement, but only professionals (with own malware honey pots) might have samples not known to the public sources.

3. Using public data will provide a boost in free publicity for all those YOUTUBE monkey testers which copy paste some URL's and provide a professional evaluation based on MBAM and HMP traces. Because your app can check every say 15 minutes for updates (default time interval, but with a nerds option to change it).

:thumb: Now we have added the COMPANION add-on, providing protection against the latest malware while the YOU TUBE monkey (URL) testers will do the marketing for you

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  15. Newby

Newby Registered Member

With url monkey testers you mean all the guys who copy cat "Matt from remove-malware'?

16. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi m00nbl00d,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it is correct that Phishing protection is very important.

The following is for everyone:

Kristal Safe Way & Kristal Security are totally different products:

1) Kristal Security is signature based anti-malware program. I recommend to use this program only with other security products & not alone because this can detect & remove only most basic viruses and not polymorphic.

2) Now lets talk about Kristal Safe Way.
    Kristal Safe Way protect against Drive-by-downloads and don´t use any signature.

3) Kristal Theft Protect is multi-level data theft protection against unauthorized access to your documents, files etc...

If you like to get most effective protection for your computer then choose Kristal Safe Way.

At the moment i am commited to Kristal Safe Way & Kristal Theft Protect.
    In near future i plan to add files reputation system to Kristal Security product to improve Kristal Security main protection against malware.

Another good thing is that Kristal Safe Way is working also on Windows Server 2008.

Prevention video what i made is about Kristal Safe Way program. As you can see in video it prevented all malicious activity.

Yesterday i made another test against 20 malicious links and again...Kristal Safe Way prevented all malware execution.

Finally, m00nbl00d, thank you for the Phishtank database links & also thank you for the PM for me. I answer to your PM very soon :)

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

17. m00nbl00d

I forgot to mention it, but maybe you could take a look at these and see if it's something you could make use of.

But, I'd imagine that one of them (Google Safe Browsing API) would be useful, for those not using Chromium based browsers.

-https://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/

Here you'll find a list with many malicious domains/IPs. See if there's any service that would fit your goals.

Maybe over time, you could add something else to Safe Way:

-http://zeltser.com/combating-malicious-software/malicious-ip-blocklists.html

I'm sure you may find something useful.

There's another, but I don't know if it would be legal to use it, although there are services using it. That would Norton SafeWeb (-https://safeweb.norton.com). Their TOS may say something about it -https://safeweb.norton.com/legal/terms

But, as I said, some services, such as Google Chrome extensions (for example), also make use of Norton SafeWeb; so, it may be OK to use it.

Anyway, I'm just providing more services you could find useful, if you're able to use them (if they allow such use). Some of them do, some others may have certain conditions.

18. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi m00nbl00d,

I´ll take look at these sources and thank you for these and i really appreciate your support.

Yesterday i figured out that i must add Desktop protection to Kristal Safe Way because in one test one malicious file got through.

This one malicious file created new desktop.ini file (hidden) to desktop and made exe file to desktop. Now when i add Desktop protection too then this malware should be blocked next time.

Note: I can add these source to only Kristal Security product, but not to Kristal Safe Way ;) - Because Kristal Security 2012 is signature based and Kristal Safe Way don´t use any signature to protect your computer.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

19. m00nbl00d

OK! :D

20. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi Kees1958,

Thank you for your informative review :)

All you said is correct.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

21. m00nbl00d

Just a quick question: Will you allow localization of your software, once it gets out of beta?

22. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi m00nbl00d,

Thank you for your question and PM.

If you have any idea, question or anything else then just let me know via PM.
    All ideas are welcome.

Answer to your question: Yes, localization is allowed.

Anyone who like to help me with program translation into other
    language, just take contact with me via PM.

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

23. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hello,

New version of Kristal Safe Way is available for download.

Version: 2012 [0.0.0.5 Beta]

Program is available in 5 different languages thanks to other country translators. Available languages:

1) English
    2) Chinese
    3) Polish
    4) Bengali
    5) Estonian

Note: Our website and other 2 security programs called: Kristal Security and Kristal Theft Protect are updated and new versions available.
    Also website have now totally new design.

All information and downloads from our website:

http://www.kristalsecurity.com

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

24. m00nbl00d

Do you think it would be a good idea to password protect Safe Way settings? I didn't try it, but would a standard user/limited user be able to change settings?

-edit-

Also, I tried to look for a language file in the Safe Way folder (I installed it in a virtualized environment.), but I couldn't fine one. I'd imagine I would have to get it via e-mail?

25. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

Hi m00nbl00d,

Yes i will plan to add password protected settings feature to new version of Kristal Safe Way. Thank you for the PM. You can find different languages from website under Downloads page choosing different installer file. You can choose from 5 different installers (languages) from website: http://www.kristalsecurity.com

Best regards,
    Kardo Kristal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.