kon-boot for real?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by brians08, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

Software called "kon-boot" supposed to be able to log into most Linux and Windows versions without password.
    Is this thing a fake or for real? I don't have a free computer to try it out on at the moment so was hoping to find some discussion about it but there isn't much that I can find so far.
    If this is for real then everyone needs to start using BIOS passwords ASAP. Better yet, Full Disk Encryption. Can you say TrueCrypt? (or Bitlocker if you can afford it)

2. Apparently for real:

http://seclists.org/dailydave/2009/q2/0032.html

Local security is a joke anyway though, IMHO; the only way to have good local security is to prevent physical access to your machine by unwanted persons in the first place. Disk encryption can be broken (I hear the NSA is quite good at that), bootloader passwords bypassed, BIOS passwords cleared or worked around... Which in the end means that the best defense against local intrusion is to keep your computer under literal lock and key.

I have to say though, this is a pretty neat (and nasty) trick.

3. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I looks like it is similar to the CDs that Sun provided for emergency bypass access to the Solaris boxes back in version 7 and 8... (and maybe the later versions too, just haven't played with those)...

Thing is... once you have access to a physical console, you own the box... This has been true for all operating systems down through the years...

Regards -
    -Bob

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Here's an article on putting Kon-Boot ISO onto a USB flash drive. I've not tried it so your on your own if you try it.
    hxxp://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/05/11/burn-iso-image-to-usb-flash-pen-drive-kon-boot-to-usb/

More Kon-Boot info.
    hxxp://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/04/29/login-to-windows-administrator-and-linux-root-account-without-knowing-or-changing-current-password/

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Kon-Boot: Bypass Windows Login Security (and some helpful blocking solutions)

Last edited: May 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.