Know a good firewall loaded w/ features?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by broken, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broken

broken Guest

Hello
    I'm looking for a good solid firewall (pay or free) that uses little system resources. But has alot of features. Like ad blocking(web bug blocking), Java & active x Blocking, Browser info blocking, and other features (generally the more the better). I am still somewhat new to this so hopefully there is a good firewall available that you don't have to have an I.Q. over 500 to operate. Thanks for any help.

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I suggest you check out programs like Outpost Pro, or Zone Alarm Pro. However neither are light on resources....

These days featuers = bloat, unlike the old days when you had programs like AtGuard which the install fit on a floppy disk, and had just as many, if not more features than many of these bloated firewall security suites.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Why the constant focus on low system resources :rolleyes:

If this really is important: state what system you use and what other software you use. Indeed I too can recall one of the most addictive games ever, Manic Miner, ran in 41 Kbyte of ram. But since we always need more functionality (objectively and subjectively spreaking) resources just follow our needs.

4. hydroracer

hydroracer Registered Member

well if you have an old machine sitting around doing nothing, you could get
    Smoothwall and use that. its a linux based app and after you get the hang of it you can make it run off of a floppy. its not real easy, but it is do-able

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=57

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hmmm...whatever its merits as a firewall, Smoothwall is not going to be able to monitor and limit application activity (necessary to detect any trojan software attempting to "phone home") so is best used as a first line of defence in conjunction with one of the firewalls listed above.

It does have to be said that the requirements given in the original post are somewhat contradictory - a "lean and mean" firewall light on resource usage will have fewer features to offer. Also ad and active content filtering can be done by a separate application (Proxomitron is the most powerful while WebWasher Classic is easier to use) which will offer more flexibility and options than most firewalls.

Having said that, ZoneAlarm (Pro version only I think), Kerio (the Pro version) and Outpost (Pro and Free) all offer these capabilities so the choice is more likely to come down to flexibility/simplicity of configuration. ZA is as simple as they come while Kerio/Outpost allow you much greater control over what individual applications can do online. The Web-Hiker's Guide to Outpost should provide a good idea of how it operates (it covers version 1, but most of it applies to version 2 also) while for Kerio, you can download the manual here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.