Kmail sucks unless you found a way to fix it

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Alright maybe this title is a bit strong but that's just how I feel about default KDE email client. It took me forever to set it up properly with Runbox account but that's okay, I am not gonna blame linux software for being user unfriendly. My grudge with Kmail is that it would have been a perfectly good email client if it wasn't for the annoying Outlook 2013 wanna be default mail view divided into Yesterday , Two Days Ago, Sunday, etc...
    Why is everybody trying to imitate microsoft? Their Ribbon UI and widescreen laptops is just not compatible. Thank God libre office developers had some kind of brain and they did not push for it. But Kmail would have been a good email client, well integrated with openSUSE if it wasn't for their email default UI which makes reading and sorting emails 3x times harder.
    Another problem with KMail is the damn KDE wallet. Why do I have to type in my password every time?
    Anyways, I think Kmail is a huge mess. I have installed Evolution, i think it's Gnome based and it's working fine with traditional office 2003 theme and it remembers my password too.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

3. mattdocs12345

Thanks I was able to fix that. Now how do I make Kmail remember the damn password.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

I think you have to do it with Kwallet.

5. mattdocs12345

Hmmm I enabled KDE wallet and I could not connect to WiFi. Weird.....

6. tlu

tlu Guest

7. mattdocs12345

ehhh it didn't help.... it's okay I will just stick with evolution. Thank you for your help. At least I got half the problem solved.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

I haven't used it for years. I'm happy with Thunderbird.

BTW, a possibly interesting alternative (which I haven't tested personally) might be Trojitá which is available for Ubuntu here.

9. mattdocs12345

Thunderbird is solid but it lacks exchange support and I also wanted to see if I can live without Mozilla, especially after they decided to bundle ads with their browser. Evolution seems like it's the only choice for exchange support. I like Kmail for being integrated into the KDE and I wanted to see if I could make it work. And it seems like there are solutions for Kmail which Im happy about. Although some require more digging that others, for which I think you.

10. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Call me noob, but the first time I use Kmail, I accidentally deleted all messages in that mail account just with one button.

Fortunately it was my secondary email account so it was less than a complete disaster. Now I dare never touch Kmail again. :oops:

11. bonedriven

For the 2nd time I'm giving Kmail a try, it deleted all my mails again when I simply used one function "mark all as read". Now all my mails in the same account it damaged before are deleted again.

Kmail sucks hard. Everyone be warned. OMG!!!

12. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I haven't spent a lot of time dealing with the different options in Kmail but it was easy to set up and everything is working so far. I will try the „mark all as read“ button later and see what happens.

I find it hard to believe that „it“ deletes all your mails but I'll see.

Why don't you use Thunderbird instead?

13. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The KDE team is working hard to beat the Gnome team on the worst looking & least functional software ever.

14. mattdocs12345

I dropped both for Xfce ;)

15. Balthazar

Personally, I like it clear and simple. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed at first but I am getting used to it and you can set it up to your own needs. I am starting to like it.

@bonedriven
    I tried it out on my spam folder and it did what it was supposed to do. All mails have been marked as read and not a single one has been deleted. I use Version 4.11.5.

16. bonedriven

All mails in the inbox were gone as I used "mark all as read" to it, yet my spammers fold is OK. 99 spam mails are very safe.

17. Balthazar

Sorry, forgot about this thread. I tried the same with my mails in the inbox and none of my mails disappeared. I noticed one thing: 2 lines below "mark all as read" one can move all mails to the trash.

I did have a little trouble with KMail after putting my laptop into hibernation. After waking it up Kmail took a long time fetching mails so I rebooted. I couldn't reproduce the problem so I guess it was nothing serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.