KIS v7 Startup Issue...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Maji, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maji

Maji Registered Member

I'm not sure if this question has been posted before, but I am at my wit's end and, with Kaspersky's official forums being out of commission until tomorrow, I could sure appreciate some help right now. :)

Basically, my problem is this: whenever my computer starts up, the KIS interface opens up instead of simply remaining in the system tray as it had done when I first installed it. I tried repairing the installation, but the behavior continued. Finally, I discovered that, if I switched the run registry key from HKLM to HKCU, KIS starts as expected. However, this alternative leads to a perpetual "security alert" state in Kaspersky because its normal startup entry has been removed.

Is there some way to deal with this other than switching the registry keys as I have done? Thank you.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

hello
    check the startup tab in msconfig. You should have more then 1 entry related to kis. uncheck all both one and reboot.
    you can enter msconfig through start/run.

3. Maji

Maji Registered Member

But wouldn't this make it so that KIS7 no longer starts at startup (I know the service will still start, but not the GUI/system tray icon)? I only see ONE entry in the MSCONFIG startup menu related to Kaspersky, and that's the entry I placed there myself because Kaspersky's original entry in HKLM was causing the undesired behavior. As I have said, if avp.exe is started from the HKCU run registry key, the behavior I mentioned originally is NOT displayed. Also, if I remove all run registry entries connected to avp.exe and start it manually, the behavior does not occur.

As I have said, I did a repair of the installation because that is what the official Kaspersky forums said to do to fix a similar issue in KAV6/KIS6. However, it failed to solve the issue.

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You can also try posting it at the fanclub forum. There are a lot of smart people there too. Please see my sig

What KIS 7 version are you running?
    Any other security software?

5. Maji

Maji Registered Member

I'm using the latest KIS 7 version (7.0.0.125) and am NOT using any other security software except for AdMuncher (this combination did NOT cause this problem to emerge initially, so I am ruling out AdMuncher as the possible culprit).

I'll take your suggestion and also post my problem on the forum you mentioned. Thank you.

6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

A simple installation repair, maybe won't suffice. Uninstall KIS completely then boot into safe mode, run "KisKavRemove", reboot windows and reinstall KIS, in order to have a clean installation.

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You could also try the repair functions in your start menu

8. Maji

Maji Registered Member

As I said before, I did do this already. No effect on the issue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.