KIS Safe Run vs. Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by wtsinnc, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi;

I started to post this in an existing thread about KIS 2010 Beta but decided to start another dedicated thread.

My question;
    Is there any definitive information regarding the comparative effectiveness of Kaspersky's "Safe Run" application versus Sandboxie ?

Which is more effective and why ?

Is there anything to gain by running KIS 2010 inside of Sandboxie instead of using KIS 2010 + Safe Surf ?

Thanks in advance for any information/opinions.

2. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Re: KIS Safe Run vs. Sandboxie:

Hey both are sandboxes. Though safe run of KIS 2010 is not as feature rich as Sandboxie, but it is still effective, and will do the same work as sandboxie will perform, i.e. allow your applications to run safely, it will not allow the application to make any changes to the system...

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Re: KIS Safe Run vs. Sandboxie:

Are they compatible...i.e do you have to uninstall Sandboxie before KIS 2010 suite installation ?

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I installed KIS 2010 on XP Home which already had Sandboxie installed.
    No problems/conflicts were experienced.
    I ran KIS 2010 with safe Surf with no problem. It seems very smooth and responsive.
    I did not attempt to run Sandboxie inside of Safe Surf or vice-versa.

5. Julian

Julian Registered Member

KIS' sandbox is not as good as Sandboxie regarding process isolation, i.e. you can kill processes with APT or Matousec SSTS, Sandboxie is better there.
    You should use the HIPS of KIS to block process modifications.

KIS 2010 is the only application with sandboxing on x64 :)

6. sourav_gho

I must inform you that it is only the first release version of safe run of KIS, as time passes it will be improved, don't forget version of 2010 is not officially launched in Kaspersky official website. Testers are still collecting bugs...

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Look forward to this new version. Even though it will take time to iron out the bugs, it's still good to see Kaspersky implementing new features and strengthening their product. :thumb:

8. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

9. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Yes, I have reported some in the last few days ;)
    Bugs are reported, confirmation by the devs stays away until now. W'll see if they will fix things.

Ah, sorry, I forgot.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Is the KIS one 64-bit available? Is it also available standalone? Need an alternative to the dieing Sandboxie that will run 64 bit come windows 7.

11. sourav_gho

KIS 64 bit is available, but it comes as a completely suite. Also Windows 7 is not officially supported....

12. elapsed

Well w7 support will come in time, I wouldn't mind to see it go as a standalone product then it would be usable for me, as I could ditch sandboxie completely. Then when w7 actually comes I don't need to give up sandboxing just because I want 64bit.

13. elapsed

If by small aspect you mean I only use it for browsing the yes you're right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.