KIS pricing question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kinwolf, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Since AVS is not supported aymore I am looking for a new AV for my GF computer. I also decided to get her a suite that includes a better firewall than the one in windows. She is not a power user, far from it, so installing a firewall like comodo that can pops every 3 secs at the beginning is a huge no-no in this case. The package also needs to be available in french as she doesn't read english very good and AVS was driving her nuts because it was in english.

Personally I have been a Bitdefender user for 3 years now and like their product, so I tried Bitdefender Internet Security 2008 first on her computer but it just won't play nice with the wireless network card. It takes over 5 minutes after a boot for BD to start it's network driver once the network card tries to connect to the wireless router, locking the network card in an intermediate state and making the system very unresponsive. I am pretty sure it will take time for BD to fix it and I need to install her a suite asap.(The 2008 line was released today btw, and the final version still has that problem)

So, I installed KIS in french and running the 30 days trial. So far all seems good, it seems to play fine with the network card and the system in general. I also like the white list of application in the firewall, it makes less popups and is more user friendly for her.

But... the price of KIS is insane in my opinion. 80$ US for a year is alot. As a comparison, BIS 2008 is 59$ for 2 years.

Anyone knows if there is some kind of discount available, like student discount or such and how to get it?

Also, at a local shop I see they are offering KIS 6 OEM for 40$. Is that a legit copy you think? What is different in the OEM version and is it also freely upgradable to KIS 7?

A quick roundup of prices of AV suite that I saw available in french:
    Bitdefender Internet security 2008: 59$ for 2 years - Bug with the wireless network card
    KIS: 79,95$ per year
    NIS 2007: 30$ for one year, 70$ for 2 (it's really 70$ per year or 110$ for 2 years but I can get a discount of 40$)
    F-Prot: 29$ per year - Won't run on vista yet, no firewall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kin

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Kin,

Sometimes various retail stores give discounts and rebates. I realize that you might not have access to all of those or rebates. I recently bought KIS from Fry's that has rebates equal to the price. However, there is the wait for the check, and one needs the price of the purchase.

As to the OEM, I suggest that you post your question on the KL forum.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?
    The OEM may be valid, but whether it will upgrade to KIS 7 or not I do not know. All companies do not support OEM versions the same way.

AVG has a suite that is in French as I can determine from their site.
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/221/us/crp/0
    The price is $69.95 for two years for one computer or $52.95 for one year.

Although it does not help you at this time, members often post special offers here, and that is a big help.

You mentioned NIS 2007, and although I have not used it, some here have and have given good reports. That might be the best option, but I would suggest you search threads for NIS 2007.

Hope you can find what you need, at a price you consider acceptable.
    I realize that the price of security may be difficult for some, but there are some good free combinations that might work. If you are interested some here can give you some good advice.

You might need to open another thread with the appropriate subject if you are interested in free applications. Firewalls always seem to be problems from the pop up standpoint until they are trained. I don't have an answer for that if outgoing protection is desired.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. fce

fce Registered Member

apply for their "switch" promo.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Although many on here will disagree with me there are resellers on ebay which offer KIS for a good price. I've just recently bought a KIS license from an ebay reseller which works fine.

5. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

As have I, but with KAV.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have also bought AVs off ebay with good results. So far I have purchased Norton, F-Secure IS, and KAV. I do not normally recommend it on the forums as who knows when someone will get ripped off. However, the record of sellers and ebay policies make purchases relatively safe.

I do not doubt that I will buy there again at the right price.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

KIS 6 OEM can be found for <$25 at various reputable e-tailers such as Computers Worth. I've successfully used the oem key on a fresh install of 7.0. The only difference between retail and oem is the fancy box and inserts.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I appreciate knowing that. I was under the impression that KL did not upgrade OEM versions to the next version. Not sure why I thought that, but am glad to see it is not correct.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think the main reason for the rumour of OEM editions not being upgraded is the whole Systweak issue. That mess did have an OEM HCL branded version key being put out to customers ;) :D

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat. Interesting. However, my license shows as a commercial key. What is "HCL?"
    You mean the Systweak issue was a "That mess?" :D :D

Didn't we have fun with that?

Best,
    Jerry

11. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

HCL is one of leading Indian company in IT sector

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi ankupan,
    Thanks for the information.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

:D Haha, yes, I meant the Systweak issue was "That mess". Fun? I don't know, it was a pretty nail-biting experience for those who got the license. :D

And yes, HCL is a leading company in Indian IT sector, as well as a large vendor of branded computers. ;)

15. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Some of the earlier KIS OEM licenses would not upgrade but a quick email to support giving purchase details got me a new key. It depends whether the key details say OEM or not. I have made 6 OEM purchases and only the first one stated OEM in the key.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is good to know.
    Jerry

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I note that HCL sells on ebay, and have several KIS 6 at auction. It appears that the payment method is the complication compared to normal PayPal.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.