Kis - Kav + Nod?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pr3d4ToR, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pr3d4ToR

Pr3d4ToR Registered Member

Waiting for the Eset Security Suite (From the screenshots by the way seems just be Firewall+Av+AntiSpam..even if i hope eset will make me wrong) i'd like to use Kaspersky Internet Security (great suite) Without Antivirus and Firewall and make it work with Nod32 and Outpost..maybe i can use kaspersky av for on demand only...u think all this is possible without compatibility problems ?? (someone use bitdefender:cool: thx!

2. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

Well, if you disable the AV modules and the firewall, you can use an antispam and an HIPS instead of KIS to complement your existing Outpost + Nod installation.

KIS's proactive defense module being an HIPS-like module, and the latest version of Outpost having an HIPS built-in with integrity control (but not controlling everything) I'd suggest you try solutions like Online Armor or System Safety Monitor.

I fear (I haven't tried though) that KIS's diver may interfere with NOD's. And you will have (approximately) the same level of protection with using an HIPS than with KIS's PDM in my opinion. (granted you use the one in Outpost, too, that has integrity control)

There are, too, light antispam solutions, like spampal, but I don't use them myself so I can't really tell you on how to use them or so, the outlook juk-mail filter suits me and works ok for me.

(I tried KIS for some time, and still do beta tests sometimes, they've improved speed and functionality with pre-MP1 builds, but still, it's heavy on my laptop so I use Nod, Outpost and System Safety Monitor instead)

3. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Like IcePanther I use NOD, Outpost and either System Safety Monitor or GhostSecurity. SpamBayes is a very good and absolutely free Antispam program. I used to occasionally run Spybot or a-squared free to check on the AntiSpyware side of things but haven't bothered for some months given the other protection. Nil infestations.

KIS6 sometimes doesn't play very nicely with other security software but the 3 main apps that I and IcePanter use get along very well. More importantly, there is a genuine issue about how many kernel level drivers you want to run at one time. It's not a system resources issue but I think more to do with eliminating driver conflicts at a very basic operating system level.

I am happy that I seem to have found a very high level of protection with an acceptable level of system resource use and that doesn't conflict.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Why not just use the Kaspersky on-line scanner as a backup to your present set-up.

5. btman

btman Registered Member

I agree with guy above me . KIS is my favourite protection but after an update while having BD IE security, (as a backup anti-virus) my comp crashed. I will never go back to having 2 FULL anti-viruses, but for now. I have Kaspersky IE security and BD 8 free edition.

I just wish to warn you incase some .dll files conflict from Kaspersky and NOD32 even if Kaspersky is off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.