KIS 6 and Prevx1

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nixie21, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Do these 2 play together well?

Thanks

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Good thing you asked this :) I was about to (at some point/forum). I am one of the PrevX winners in CC contest and my current main machine has KIS 6. Been wondering myself for a while now would it be wise to install PrevX1 to this machine. And if so, would either one require any special settings to make sure they work.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Well, I have KIS 6.0 install on one of my machine since one year now. As many here on this Forum, I like playing with Security Software.

So last year I did install PrevX1 together with KIS for a couple of month. Did not experience any conflicts or whatever.But nevertheless,I finally uninstall PrevX as I think it's just overkill.

My 00.2 cents anyway.:)

4. nixie21

I run KIS with everything enabled except for file checker in pdm. Is prevx1 overkill? (i just dont understand all the questions with file checker on)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wondered the same question.
    i might save the prevx1 license for the pc im building for myself soon
    lodore

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I too have wondered if this is overkill.
    Been running KIS6 and Prevx 1 now for over a month with zero problems.
    They run quite well together.
    It may be overkill or you could look at it as having a layered approach.
    There could always be that one that KIS has no definition for, that Prevx could stop.
    I don't like to have alot of security programs running and I think too many are definitely overkill.
    But one or two, in addition to KIS, maybe a good thing.:cool:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

they only two processes each so shouldnt slow you down.
    if they work together might as well use them along side each other.
    lodore

8. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have recently tried running Prevx1 with longstanding KIS 6 installation and have to say that it is not for me as the hit on my PC is just too great, especially when Prevx1 is communicating with the online database. Shame as I like it vert much. Am now looking at PRSC which seems to give less drag than Prevx1.:)

9. nixie21

Yeah, my PC does not like Prevx1 much, do not know why, with just KIS it is perfect! Is KIS enough alone... I have all features used except Application integrity control....

Of course I have spyware blaster, router firewall, mvps hosts

on demand
    a2 anti malware (if this is not running realtime, can I set up a task to call it to do a scan from command line?)
    superadblocker (has sas, same question as above)

Thanks

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

The OP is the same in both threads, Danny and it is only if you want to use PrevX that you should uninstall the PDM.............it is not a general suiggestion, as i said in the thread, i would use the PDM personally and like some in this thread i find PrevX too noticeable on the pc. :)

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

While I don't find Prevx noticeable on my pc at all, what you are saying does make sense, as usual.
    Prevx sounded interesting and for me does run very well with KIS even with the PDM on though I did disable the network protection in Prevx.
    I like trying new things and everything is based on it's relation with KIS, which is a constant on my system and a very remarkable suite.
    Thanks for your input and your never ending effort to help others. It is noted and appreciated!:cool:

13. Baldrick

Have a look at Primary Response Safe Connect (PRSC) if you have not already. Does a similar job to Prevx1 but without the constant need to refer back to a website. From my testing it seems to run lighter than Prevx1, is less intrusive popup-wise and in the reviews that I have seen on it it seems to have the edge to it.

I have yet to make my mind up.:D

Get trial version from here:
    http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/sc/index.php

Review from here:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2071441,00.asp

Bonne chance

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I'm not familiar with this program but did read the review at PC Mag. and the con is what bothers me.

Some innocent programs were identified as threats. Removal process temporarily damaged system files in one test.

A current image in TI would be a definite in trying this program, just in case.
    Think I'll have to read more on this before I tried it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though.:cool:

15. Baldrick

Yup, bothered me too but as I run protected by GoBack I tried it anyway and to be fair nothing legitemate was removed so I think that this was perhaps something that has been sorted as the review is a while back now. The other thing is that if you check the review carefully it did say that what was removed did not cause a significant problem...and you can quarantime stuff any way so it should be retrievable from there if necessary.

But you are weise to be cautious. Anyway, IMHO it is a potential candidate for me...but I will be testing it again before making a decision.;)

16. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I have always liked Prevx1 for it's Event Notification feature. It is not enabled by default. To enable it, go to Preferences and check the box. I know of no other software that has this feature. It is resource hungry, but if you have the RAM, the Notification Feature is worth it.

Without that, I would probably just stick with KIS, but I am now using them together with no problems.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  17. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

So if i uninstall KIS PDM i can use it with Prevx1 free right? :)

18. Baldrick

You could just turn PDM off initially but the received wisdom would be uninstall the PDM component of KIS to be absolutely 'safe'. Havibg said that you can always re-install it if you change your mind (that is one of the nice things about using KIS/KAV.:cool:

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just to be clear for the non-KAV users..., that's a reinstall of that module only. The ability to uninstall/reinstall discrete modules within KAV/KIS is a really nice feature when compatibility questions rear their head.

Blue

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Could someone also explain in Prex1 what exactly are the benefits with this program in depending on it's community website database for identifications compared to just simply making available updates to a local Db on the machine? I never found it comfortable enough for me to be satisfied with any program that constantly requires outgoing/incoming access in the way that Prevx seems to use although i harbor no doubts to it's effectiveness, just that particular method used. And do most of you really favor this concept practice as much as i take it that you do? It's that i always been cautiously skeptical of such a practice because can they absolutely guarantee the website will not at some point go off-air for some length of time. Curious.

Thanks

21. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I know that is what's being said, but I run KIS6 with PDM running. All options checked.
    I do shut off Network protection in Prevx though.
    So far no conflicts or problems.:cool:
    And if there were, Prevx would go before I shut down anything in KIS.
    I just have more confidence in KIS at this time.

22. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Never had any problems with KAV6, and Prevx1 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.