KIS 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

KIS2011 11.0.2.556abc for me it's the lightest build in years ... I don't see that high CPU usage in my system ... the only complement security I use is MWB on demand sometimes ..

And as You can see my CPY system is not so power, but my RAM 4GB. I use 2 HD SATA 160GB, one for the system and one for my data. AMD ATI HD 5670.

Using W7 x64 + KIS2011 for more than 1 day (1day and more than 14 hours) without rebooting nor shutdown my system, and You can see in screeshots the RAM and CPU consumptions ... running FireFox, Opera, Paint.net, Dopus (as file manager, Trillian Astra 5.0.0.29 (as messenger), Pop Peeper as resident email checking, SAI resident app., and some others apps ...

Regards.

Attached Files:

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

It might be running idle/rootkit scan. Confirm here about your settings.

3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

... and software setup ;)

I dont think it was ever a problem, depended on the Web-AV settings - the caching/buffering time you give it. A longer cache/buffer time = Kaspersky will buffer the file for longer before it allows it to go to the browser to enable the Web-AV to scan a bigger picture of the file rather than segments.

I personally recommend setting it to 1second.

4. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I've done deep scan , KIS never touch 10% of CPU
    hmm maybe your idle scan is on, IMHO it should be turned off

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

How do I confirm? Your link is missing.

Nope. I turned idle scan off. It will only scan files according to the smart mode.

6. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Idle scan only runs when sreensaver is active (and pauses/resumes scanning when the screensaver is inactive/active): http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2011/settings/scan?qid=208281836 So that's not the issue here.

Rootkit scan/Active threats scan: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=208281911#regular
    Runs on every system bootup, and once per day (if system isn't rebooted). Potential cause.

Other potential causes: -another service/program in the system accesses files which then KIS scans in realtime and causes the high resource usage.
    -Application Control rescan of applications which are listed in settings/App ctrl list of applications. Runs every 15 minutes, queries the cloud/KSN for data about listed apps, performs a query with local KSN DB and scans the applications with classic signatures and heuristics for malware. It's possible that it's getting stuck on a program/file.

For such issues it's best to post a GSI log and/or contact support.

7. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

To see previous Kasperskyclub forum links, I think You have to be logged (registered) in.

Regards.

8. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

That's not normal and looks like a software conflict to me. Do you have windows defender turned off?

9. whitedragon551

No software conflicts. The only real time security app I have is KIS2011. You can see the rest in my sig. There are also no remnants of previous security software including left over drivers.

Windows Defender is off, Windows FW is also off.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh really, i never knew that, in those times i was less security saavy :rolleyes:

11. smage

smage Registered Member

In AV Comparatives Performance test conducted in August and December 2010, KAV 2011 and KIS 2011 were awarded only an Advanced. So Kaspersky has to improve itself in this field.

Thanks

12. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

That was always my issue with KIS as well. The detection and removal are beyond solid, but it always ended up dragging my system down. Sometimes right away and other times over time. I never could figure out why.

13. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

What version are you running and on what sort of system. Am running the latest build of 2011 and seems to pepetually idle at around 15Mb and hardly uses any CPU unless it is scanning and even then it compares very favourably with what I have seen reported for the other market leaderso_O Very far from "on the way out" as far as I am concerned.

14. whitedragon551

Im experiencing the same slow downs as the Igster and my laptop is more than enough. Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz CPU, 3 Gbs Ram, 250Gb 16Mb L2 Cache Seagate Momentus 5400.6 HD, NVIDIA 9500GS with 512MB GDDR2 dedicated memory.

15. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Ok that's a bit strange since I never got slowdown on my old laptop : core 2 duo T7300 (2ghz), 4gb Ram DDR2, 160gb Hdd 5400, nvidia 8600m gt 256mb dedicated. Win 7 64bit. Maybe difference in setting and usage. Btw spyshelter and winpatrol is RT

16. TheIgster

Not sure what version it was. Was about 3 or 4 months ago, maybe a bit less. I have Windows 7, 64-bit with a quad core processor and 8GB or RAM and it slowed my system down quite a bit. During a scan, I couldn't use the system at all. No other AV/Malware software present at the time either.

17. delah

delah Registered Member

The only usable version of KIS2011 is 11.0.2.556ab which is the final CF2 (with updates)

18. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

I don't post very often but I think I've finally found a thread where I can give my 2 cents worth ...

I get KIS free from my Bank and I've been running it on my desktop for the last two years or so however I uninstalled it earlier this week because of slowdowns. I found that when I was watching something in fullscreen on VLC a KIS automatic update would cause the screen to freeze for a second or two before starting again and this is very annoying when you are engrossed in a movie. I first noticed this problem about 4 months ago, but only pinpointed it to the update over the last couple of weeks. To double check I scheduled a number of updates to happen whilst running VLC and this was definitely the cause. However i'm not sure if this was due to the 95%+ CPU usage mentioned above, if I had read this thread earlier I would have checked. The other slowdowns I found were during scans when programs and windows would take an extra 10-20 seconds longer to open.

I was running the latest KIS 2011 version 11.0.2.556 on Vista SP2, Core 2 Duo E8500, 3gb ram, ATI Radeon 3870 512mb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb.

If anyone is interested in knowing if my VLC problems were caused by a CPU spike let me know and I will reinstall KIS 2011 do some tests and post back here in a couple of days. :)

19. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

You could:
    -Check thread priority in VLC settings (if there's such an option). Setting the playback priority to "high" could help.
    -Enable Game mode in KIS. This postpones scheduled tasks if a fullscreen application is running. (although it's possible that KIS won't treat VLC as a fulscreen app)

As for scans, enable Concede resources to other applications in Compatibility settings, it could help. It depends on individual systems and what kind of files there are and their quantity. KIS doesn't have any limits to recursion depth for archive/compound files and it processes multiple files/archives at once due to multithreading which can be taxing on performance.
    Otherwise, scan only when you're not using the computer.

20. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

i love the New Kis Pure V2 :D

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It's still based on KIS 2010 by the way, PURE based on 2011 is not even in beta-testing.

22. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

And will AFAIK never be. Or at least I have heard that the next PURE will be based on 2012.

I haven't used CF2, but at least CF1 has high CPU and IO usage while updating (spikes between 0% and 90%) and while launching programs (depending on the program, from 10% to 40%). I don't find manual scans too demanding though, this computer (Core 2 Duo E6600, 3,3 GB RAM, a 7200 rpm HDD) is well usable while one is running.

RAM usage is pretty good actually, less than most other suites I've used.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  23. whitedragon551

Well hit a new all time high. Almost an entire Gb of RAM and 96+CPU. Only thing that was open was TextPad and I was coding Java for my Java Programming Class.

24. TheIgster

Time to move on whitedragon...my sidebar is using more RAM right now than CIS...;-)

25. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I do wonder how the normal Joe Bloggs goes on with the later versions of Kaspersky?Joe Bloggs being the type of user who justs wants to install a security program that works out of the box,the type of user that doesn't visit or know about these type of forums to try and solve his problems,the type of user that doesn't want to re-configure everything on his PC to get a security program to run OK,the type of user who doesn't want to go out and buy another 2gb of ram to get his security program to run smoothly,the type of user that if he/she has problems with a security program will never buy that vendors products again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.