KIS 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I havent seen much mention lately of Kaspersky so I figured I would start this thread. I have a 1 year license to the Internet Security suite 2011 so I figured I might as well use it. Just wondering how it stacks up to how it used to? It used to be a great AV.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It's great still product detection-wise, the firewall and program control are also great. It might be the only suite worth buying (instead of the anti virus), because of the firewall and program control. Also you can really fine tune it to your personal taste.

But I think Kaspersky really went the bloatware way, when I last tested it (CF1) it was really heavy. Also it got a lot of features in the suite I will never use (Parental Control, Anti-Spam, Anti-Banner, Virtual Keyboard, Kaspersky Gadget) but it doesn't provide you a component-based installer anymore like it did in the past.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

totally agree, it's just too much for me. Last time I tried it (cf2) it was ok when pc was up and running but slowed initial start up loads.
    I just want a firewall and anti virus, it's far too bloaty IMHO

4. smage

smage Registered Member

Hi guys,

Me too I've got a one year license for KIS and I'm currently trying it. Is there any changes I should make to the default settings? In the past, I remember that the category 'other' was not checked by default in the AV.

Thanks

PS: I want to leave it in automatic mode as I got tired of the Comodo alerts for safe files.

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Apart from checking Other threat category, nothing: it's your personal preference what to configure differently. Default Automatic mode will handle 99% of popups. You'll potentially only see (AFAIK, as I don't use auto mode):
    -request for advanced disinfection which require system reboot
    -Unknown application without a digital signature and a high heuristically calculated threat rating (on execution emulation) wants to start
    -Unknown application wants to load a driver in a hidden way (Proactive defense)
    -Unknown application wants to gain access to protected passwords storage (OS feature: Internet explorer, Outlook, Messenger etc. passwords)

Have in mind that due to big whitelist in KIS (Bit9, KL whitelist etc.), even Interactive mode isn't hard to handle (IMO).

6. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Agreed, although I'm still using it, mostly because of the very user-friendly Application Control (HIPS) and the configurability.

It didn't feel heavy on my faster PC, but now that I'm temporarily on a half-a-decade old machine with a slow CPU, it's really slowing some things down. Possibly putting the File-AV to scan things "on-execution" would make it faster, although probably with reduced protection.

About good settings, http://forum.kasperskyclub.com/index.php?showtopic=7393 (I recommend ignoring the File Anti-Virus and the Reports and Storage parts, or it'll become heavier)

7. smage

smage Registered Member

Thanks for the info, I'll play with it a bit :)

8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

In KIS 2011, it is better to turn off idle time scan and run quick and full scan on a schedule. Also quick and full scan settings can be changed to enable anti rootkit option. On installation KIS doesn't turn off windows defender. But turning off defender improves system bootup time and less CPU usage.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That is a good thing. It means there haven't been any major problems. I am currently using it and do not find it to be bloated or slow in any way. I disable automatic mode because once rules are set for existing programs you don't get prompted again. When something new prompts, I want to know about it. It is a major reason I run this suite.

10. whitedragon551

I havent had a chance to really dig into the settings yet because I just got the license for this. Ill have more later on tonight on some configuration settings. My main goal is really light while still being protective. I was wishing for some sort of browser sandboxing. Am I missing this?

11. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Do they still have the pig squeal when a virus is detected? That was cool. Annoying, but sure got your attention.

12. 3x0gR13N

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208281968

Yes, but it's not default. I find the new version to be horrid, the older piggy was better. :/

13. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I have found too many annoying problems with 2011 and find 2010 a far better product for me,even with the quick rootkit scan disabled I still found slowdowns,its still probably one of the best from a protection point of view but any AV product that needs as much free/available memory as Kis:-

•Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or higher)
    •Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2 or higher)
    •Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Service Pack 2 or higher)

need 512 MB of available RAM

•Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32/64 Bit)
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32/64 Bit)
    need 1 GB of available RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB of available RAM (64-bit)

is going to cause some problems for a lot of users,pity because in the past kaspersky have made the best products overall,just not the case with the 2011 range of products

14. whitedragon551

I cant do it as Im on x64. Meh. :rolleyes:

What I can do under Application Control is set Firefox to read only so that it cant write system files or changes. I could also drag it from the Trusted group to a low restricted, high restricted, or untrusted group where the permissions are much more tight and defined.

15. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Doesn't Safe Run for Websites (launches a sandboxed instance of the default browser) work on x64? You should also be able to right-click on .exes and select "Safe Run".

16. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

I'm running W7 x64 and You can use Safe Run (sandboxing) for browsing without any problems ... and as Rampastein said You can use "Safe Run" option with mouse right-click, but always with limitations as every sandbox in x64 has ... anyway Safe Run for browsing works fine.

For stronger settings, check the guide Rampastin said (at Kaspersky Club):

http://forum.kasperskyclub.com/index.php?showtopic=7393

The get the pig sound :) : Settings -> Notifications -> Disable -> Use Windows default sounds.

Regards.

17. whitedragon551

I dont want safe run for websites. I want safe run for applications so I can put FF and IE in there and not have to worry about right clicking the icon and hit safe run every time I want to browse the net.

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I bought a 2 year licence back in 2009 and used it less than a week, then tried the 2011 version, and used that for less than a day. wont be spending any more cash on Kaspersky, couldnt do a damn thing while a scan was in progress, shame I bought the download, I could have used the CD as target practice :shifty:

19. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Its a solid security suite and worth buying

But problem is not with Kaspersky actually but instead other security products are getting faster.

IF you could get at the same price a faster suite (or a few bucks more ) then buy the one in my signature as they are fastest currently with good protection.

20. 3x0gR13N

21. whitedragon551

I think its safe to say KIS 2011 is on its way out. Its hitting 95%+CPU usage with high IO writes and over 450Mbs+

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

During scan?
    I can't believe it's using that much resources all the time :D

23. whitedragon551

Nope. During idle. Nothing running not even a browser.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow really, maybe you should do a few restarts and wait until it settles with all and then check again :D
    I used KIS for like a year in 2008, pretty smooth, no slowdowns that i could notice except when streaming online videos (It lagged streaming a lot, i had to wait until it scanned the whole video before being able to view it, which is waiting 2x the time?)
    I guess now it should be fixed :thumb:

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I also tried the 2008 version back then!

And at that point KIS was as light as ESS was then and still is today IMO.
    But not anymore it seems:ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.