KIS 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quanzi_1507, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

To those brave souls who actually install this (PRE)BETA version: do not perform an update! (set the updater to manual mode)
    Also, do not use the sandbox. W7 isn't supported ATM.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Nice interface.

4. czullo

czullo Registered Member

omg omg, this is like pre-alpha not beta, nothing working and all time BSOD

5. 3x0gR13N

And have you updated it?
    Also, it's recommended that you immediately reboot after installation. ;)

6. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

It takes alot of guts to test KIS2010 at this stage :D. I'll wait a bit before checking it out. And btw, I like the new gui too :thumb:

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It looks nice minus the obvious bugs. First BSOD I have ever seen in a virtual machine. It looks promising though. Yes, the updater is seriously broken. I had enough BSODs with the 2009 though that I have pretty much burnt up a 3 user license without using it for more than a couple of weeks. Hopefully this version will work for me when it is done.

8. thathagat

thathagat Guest

running in vm.......not yet updated though.......not yet the inevitable..bsod..i am expecting it though...;)
    safe try feature...seems to be a take on something akin to sandboxie..........

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Too much clutter/text and bland interface IMO, though I don't doubt it's awesome when it's setup right. No offence intended. ;) I didn't use KAV anymore as I saw a video of a very infected system (Matt Rizos), where KAV would do small scans for specific threats and restart without a warning. That's not comfortable IMO and I don't think it's as good way of handling as others. Atleast in Automatic Mode, 2009 wouldn't check for and remove adware by default either.

10. 3x0gR13N

Actually, if you looked closer, matt accidentally clicked OK on a prompt to reboot (after Advanced disinfection procedure aka "small scans") ;)
    That's what happens when he doesn't do his homework of familiarizing himself with the app he tests. :)

11. raven211

Yeah, I know he - atleast before - don't get all the facts on the software that he tests. :) Fortunately, though, I think he's gotten better by now on that point. ;)

Well, yeah, but the biggest issue was that it would do small scans for specifical malware and not just deny access and take care of everything when rebooting next time or something. I don't think it's a secret I like automatic, but effective operation, so it's disappointing that KAV in Automatic Mode by default doesn't have optimal settings, partly for detection.

12. 3x0gR13N

Agree :thumb:
    The Advanced Disinfection procedure must take place to remove active malware. Once active malware gets detected (whose process you cannot simply terminate, you have to perform a cleanup) you'll be prompted to start the Advanced disinfection (where it clearly states a system reboot is required for best chances of removal). If you click OK the "Small scan" will begin (it denies write/starting of any other processes so that malware doesn't respawn), followed by a reboot. If you click cancel Kaspersky will attempt to remove it on next reboot. :)

13. raven211

Okay, good stuff. :D Now my only problem is non-optimal settings when choosing Automatic Mode. :D It's probably always been my biggest issue though, cause I really like Kaspersky's operation otherwise. Oh, and that in testing, the HIPS would set undeniable malware in Low-restriction, which let the malware do its thing - simply because nor the AV or its heuristics already could detect it.

14. 3x0gR13N

I can't comment on actual operation of Automatic mode, haven't been using it at all. :)
    As for obvious malware being placed in Low restricted, even there you would be asked about dangerous activities like writing in system folder, accessing private data, accessing the internet, manipulating other applications, writing startup registry keys etc. so the likelihood of it doing actual damage is minimal. :) (check the HIPS settings if you don't believe me ;))

15. raven211

Oh right, forgot that - it's been a long time since using it. :D Don't recall what happened during that testing session though... Might also have been one of Matt Rizos' videos.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have a good feeling about 2010. 2009 was a GUI enhancement minus some solid detection tweaking, but I have a good feeling all of that is changing. Good job Kaspersky.:thumb:

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol the 2010 GUI just looks like a Rogue A LOT to me haha :D

18. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

New version
    I really like the look of it.Smart way of laying out threats and how it covers them.
    Its good that it has a section my private info - thats always a problem , i.e what can malware do with files if it gets on the system
    That it has a yellow for sig updates is also v good , current video's ive seen has that in red. Which is NOT good for a normal user , sig updates are the least imp part of a good suite in my opinion.
    That its adding a sandbox for browsers is really excellent - its great to see a big company taking that on - now we'll have to find something even more cutting edge here !

Current version
    I've read that the current version would have protected against the MBR virus , as it prevents low level disk access by default for d/l apps.
    It also has a warning system when apps such as Adobe ( boo !) need updating.

So it all looks very good from here.

19. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Agree :thumb: Too much text

20. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Hope Kasperksy Labs has added full functionality for x64 platforms.

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I just want to see Kaspersky getting back on track and recover its once-formidable detection rates. Oh, and please change that ugly interface!

22. raven211

Couldn't agree more - that was my first thought. :p

23. pkz77

pkz77 Registered Member

Well it looks so bad :( . Too much text and the all interface isn't nice at all. KIS 2009 looks so sexy compared to KIS 10.

24. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Has anyone tried the sandbox?
    I noticed in the screen shot that it allows running of browsers and "other applications".

25. 3x0gR13N

Sandbox isn't working in this build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.