KIS 2010 Safe Run

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

With some help from the KL forum I am trying to figure out the sandbox safe run mode in KIS 2010.

I have noticed that there are those who use Sandboxie, and like it. Is the sandbox in KIS similar?
    Those of you who use or have used KIS 2010 what is your view of the safe run sandbox?

What are the disadvantages? Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Yes basically, sandbox in KIS does the same thing as Sandboxie.

The disadvantage is that it is not as feature rich as Sandboxie, and it uses more memory due to virtualization, as compared to non sandboxed items but it does get the job done, what it is meant for. You can run any program/malware in it without any effect on system.

I think it is going to be improved in future versions, this is the first version of Kaspersky's Sandbox.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I am still trying to figure out how to use it.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Not all the time. I'm testing GesWall and Sandboxie as well. But must admit I kind a like Safe run

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    I downloaded, as a test, SAS in Safe run. As I was told it went to the default C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\Sandbox\KLSB#\Device\HarddiskVolume2\...

I don't know how to get a download to the Shared Folder. I think it might be better if I download something like SAS to not use the sandbox, but download it to my download folder.

I like the idea, and am going to use the sandbox when surfing, and everything except downloads.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, I use Saferun all the time. On install I did not install web protection. Browsing is very fast and when you close your browser all the garbage is gone.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks. How do you handle downloads such as SAS? I am wondering if the best way is to not use Saferun. I have not found out how to get things in the shared folder shown next to the Safe Run Applications window.

I did a full installation, and so far have not found a slowdown when surfing.
    Have you found a disadvantage using Saferun? Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If I download something I just disable it for that. I have found no disadvantages for it. I am leaning to converting 2 others computers over to it. Pop ups have been nothing compared to the past. I hope their next version is a bit more compatible with 64 bit. But if I were you, use Safeonline all the time and you wont get hit by anything.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    Jerry

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Not in my experience. A couple of apps I've tried don't play well with it, in particular media players I've tried don't play video when sandboxed by KIS. See http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=151943

As for advantages, programmes start/run quicker for me than with Sandboxie and KIS antimalware/HIPS, link filter etc work seamlessly without tweaking/special templates.

Disadvantages. Can't choose recovery folder location, can't set files/folders to run sandboxed so can't sandbox USB/CDDVD drives etc, can't set exceptions/open file paths etc, can't set start/run/internet restrictions and probably most important for me the brilliant support and commitment to development you get from Tzuk is not yet evident (to me at least) in the Kaspersky community.

It's basic but seems to do what it says. If you want the flexibility it's Sandboxie I'm afraid until/if Kaspersky develop it further.

Cheers

13. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

14. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Since there's Sandboxie for 64 bit I don't use the safe run feature of KIS anymore because it's less secure and compatible. Just test with leaktests and so on.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All.
    Considering that many public WIFI connections are unsecured, wouldn't the Saferun make using such much more secure?

Regards,
    Jerry

16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

No, SafeRun does not encrypt data connections.

Its use is to isolate applications (eg, web-browsers and doubtful files) from the rest of your computer so it cannot save or remove data from the rest of your computer, eg, drop a trojan to your c:\windows\system32 folder.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

SafeRun Less secure? Compared to what? Any factual data please? o_O

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, I was thinking of incoming malware, but not the outgoing information which could be intercepted.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

19. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Incoming malware is not a big issue with wifi - (sorry, not my neiche - how will it get to your computer?). Dont think SafeRun will make a difference with this.
    Outgoing information is the main concern by far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.