Kingsoft Antivirus 2012 [Cloud]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Currently trying this.

I dont know how the autoupdate works but in 3 hours I tried 3 manual updates & 2 times I received a file updates of few kbs. Is the autoupdate working in this beta? What does it updates if its a Cloud AV?

And the most important thing I would like to point out is that........

I had mentioned this prob here & also in Kingsoft forum at the time of Kingsoft PC Doctor. They replied that changes will be there. The same prob I find in this AV. The prob being........

The AV identifying anything safe. Now in this AV on what basis they identify anything as safe? I tested this AV & it identifies malware as safe, digitally signed & not signed both (VirusTotal many of the AV's found the same as Trojan malware) This is the same exact prob I mentioned at the time of Kingsoft PC Doctor in their forum & they replied changes will be there. I am disappointed its still the same in this new AV of Kingsoft. On what basis they identify anything safe??

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I hold the same opinion. May be an automated system determines that. But that purely gives a false sense of security.

3. KingsoftSecurity

KingsoftSecurity Registered Member

Autoupdate works. It auto downloads files to update KAV, and download local virus lib. Even KAV is cloud based antivirus, it still has some local file to prevent some threats such as USB threats.

Does KAV detect every malware as safe? No matter virus scan or download protection, or system defense? I'm sorry we disappoint you, and we missed some malware. But it is impossible that we missed all malware. Could you please send me some samples missed to see which kind of malware we missed a lot? PM me the link is OK, or email huangruimin(at)kingsoft(dot)com. Many thanks.

4. Esse

Esse Registered Member

I have a question regarding privacy issues, I just read this in the Prevx (WSA) forum:

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by PrevxHelp
    We have offices around the world (Colorado, England, Ireland, San Diego, San Mateo, Sydney, Tokyo, to name a few) and servers around the world - there is no one location, although Webroot's headquarters are in Colorado in the US.

Thanks!

Good to know.

Main reason for asking is since you basically know everything there is to know about a PC and you keep it in the cloud, I want to make sure that the nation in charge of that data is not willing to use it against the person for personal prosecution etc...i.e. China or other opressive nation using the knowledge of your PC against the user. And don't give me the BS that if you had an office in China that you won't release the data, it's China, they don't give a rats ass who owns the office on their land, it's their land and the data is up for grabs if they really want it. Afterall it's not a Foreign embassy in China so the land that the office is located on is Chinese with all the rights of their land, search and seizure."

Answer from WSA:

"We don't have an office in China or a datacenter in China, so you don't have to worry"

What is Kingsofts standpoint in this kind of questions?

/E

5. KingsoftSecurity

Emm, actually, this kind of question is nothing helpful for product itself, and I can only give some clarification for it.

Firstly, as a security company, the goal since founded is never changed. That is to make our users more secure, and bring benefit to users, and also profit us from our services and products. This makes us never against user privacy and rights. We're building antivirus, not building virus.

Secondly, what is sensitive in China is the political topics. Kingsoft will never engage in any political topics, and only focus on improving our products and services.

Nowadays, more and more good PC and mobile apps are produced from chinese companies. If you group them as negative because they're from China, I think you'll miss a lot.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not everything from China is bad. Kingsoft is a great proof of that. Besides, ppl think that cloud programs upload everything fromy our computer to the cloud. That is very unpractical even if anyone would like to do that since you'd need incredible amounts of bandwidth. Besides, who would review all the petabytes of data?

Sure it's good to be couscous when starting to use new type of software that was before unknown to you but ppl tend to be over-paranoid in most cases.

7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Esse just said what a lot of us are thinking. Stereotypical? Yes, but I as an American would feel the same way about software from say North Korea or Iran, it's just the way it is............... I have tried KAV 2012 on my test machine, and it seemed to be a very well designed product, and is well on its way to becoming very, very good.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only thing from asia that i was ever worried about were whitelisted digital signatures in Comodo Internet Security, all written in Chinese signs. Why should i have a whitelisted company whos name i cannot even read? Plus it would be very unlikely to ever come across it unless they'd provide their product and company name in english... like Kingsoft does...

9. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Just to be very clear:
    I did not mean to be negative against Kingsoft in any way.

I live in Sweden and I know there are laws here to protect us users from the concerns written in the post I upped earlier.

But I do not know what laws are protecting Kingsoft if the Chinese government comes knocking on your door asking for user info?

I know this is sensitive but never the less very important to us users.
    I am sorry if this hijacked the thread a bit, but it is an important question and I hope this will not upset anyone.

/E

10. KingsoftSecurity

Actually, we're security company, providing security solution, not SNS. The cloud is not storing user info, but the characteristics of suspicious files. Who cares this kind of data? Virus producers and other security vendors. Also the CONSTITUTION protects this kind of data.

I'm sorry this is KAV discussion, please let us back to KAV itself.:)

11. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Installed it today out for curiosity,and i already found a bug.Did a quick scan and i can't trust FP's,see the screenshots.That pop up appears no matter if i tick or untick the program.
    And btw..."abnormal item"??That's a first for me in a security program...

Attached Files:

12. guest

guest Guest

i observed the same "bug" , it detect Process Hacker as a Hijacker (because i made it replacing the task manager), i can't made it trusted.

Also , i don't see exactly how the "video defense" works, if the option is checked it supposed to put a green border around the browser, but i didn't see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  13. KingsoftSecurity

These 2 are not bugs. They cannot be trusted after scanning because our strategy is to notify this kind of risks is very dangerous, and should be removed. If you really know they are safe, you can add them as trusted as follow.

About the video defense, it does not protect the online web video like youtube, it protects video which needs to install special players for it, like the install_flash_player.exe here: http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=686&start=100#p3317 . The player should be virus, and it will be put into a sandbox. After watching video, it will be removed safely.

Attached Files:

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It would be nice if you could explain all the technologies that you use (like you did for Video Defense). I mean there are certain features that i don't quite understand how and what they protect.

15. KingsoftSecurity

We'll review this strategy to allow trust after scanning. This may be more acceptable.

16. JoeBlack40

It's not even more acceptable,it's more a normal behavior.In the scan window i can take the appropriate measures,not to navigate to another window to add FP's.And after all,why did you put in the scan window that "trust" option in the first place if it's not working??

17. KingsoftSecurity

Accept. Because the SP3.5 final is already submitted for review, we will try to fix this issue in later version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

18. JoeBlack40

Glad to hear that and thank you.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Are you saying it will soon reach final release version? Will you also update the webpage to reflect this new version along with explanation how certain features protect users?

20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

how come kav does update the program from version to version? or at least let us know of a new version.

21. KingsoftSecurity

OK, we'll add some descriptions later. What kind of descriptions do you like?

22. KingsoftSecurity

I have to apologize for this. Because the sp3.5 final had been submitted to CNET for review last week, due to some issues(the person who's in charge was out of office; schedule is full until Jul 30th :'( ), it's still not been released on CNET. We'll release sp3.5 final ourselves asap.

23. KingsoftSecurity

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah great. I will try it out. Is it completely compatible with Emsisoft Antimalware and Online Amour, Norton Internet Security and Bitdefender Total Security?

25. KingsoftSecurity

Separately, it should be. If you put them together...I'm not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.