Killer Deal for Students: Get Windows 7 Home Premium for $30!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

MaximumPC Article | Terms and Conditions | Registration

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Thanks for the notification! This is a seriously good deal for students!

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

JohnnyDollar & ambient_88, you're welcome! Take care.

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

To my understanding if you follow these instructions you can get Windows 7 Professional instead of Home Premium for the same price...

How to Purchase
    1. Have a valid .edu e-mail address
    2. Go to http://www.win741.com
    3. Click Buy, then select Buy Now
    4. Enter your .edu e-mail address
    5. Check your e-mail for the Eligibility Confirmation message and open the link it contains
    6. Note that Windows 7 Home Premium is automatically added to your cart.
    7. Follow the yellow highlighted link: "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here"
    8. Click the Preorder button in the window that pops up to add Windows 7 Professional to your cart (replacing Home Premium).
    9. Complete the checkout process and hold on to your confirmation e-mail.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is only for people residing in USA ...
    Mrk

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

According to the terms and conditions, students have the choice of Win7 Home Premium or Win7 Pro. But I can't find a link to the Pro edition. I sent DigitalRiver an email asking them yesterday but have not got a response. If anyone knows the link please post it.

8. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Look at my post above for choosing Windows 7 Pro during the checkout process. I can confirm that these instructions do work just this morning.

Slightly revised...

How to Purchase
    1. Have a valid .edu e-mail address
    2. Go to...

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/st...=mgzqeQoBAkgAAGcaGxIAAAAV&rests=1253372825548

3. Enter your .edu e-mail address
    4. Check your e-mail for the Eligibility Confirmation message and open the link it contains
    5. Note that Windows 7 Home Premium is automatically added to your cart.
    6. Follow the yellow highlighted link: "Need to join your school's network domain? Click here"
    7. Click the "Preorder" button in the window that pops up to add Windows 7 Professional to your cart (it replaces Home Premium in your checkout cart).
    8. Complete the checkout process and hold on to your confirmation e-mail.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thank you Trespasser, I appreciate the help.:thumb:

I got another question you might answer. Is the electronic download and iso image that you burn? If that is the case then there is no need to have a disk kit shipped to you right? Since the burned disk will do the same?

edit: Nevermind I ordered the disk anyway, $13 no big deal. I am looking forward to it. Win7x64 pro fro $42 including shipping of the disk kit, not bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  10. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Is there a way to get both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions? Or do you have to choose between the two?

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

You have to choose between the two.

12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Microsoft is doing a lot of this with 7 that they haven't done before. PC World sees it as an attempt at getting it on as many PCs as possible versus their previous strategy of making the quick money off of the OS sales upfront. The objective being to phase out Vista support quicker than they have allowed XP support to go on and be extended, etc. I'm not completely sold on all the hype yet. Complaints are starting to surface about the release candidate not being ready for prime time and the final touches of Windows 7 being a rush job. I would still keep a trusty XP image handy.

13. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

This was too good of a deal for me to pass up. I waited till sp1 was released before buying Vista, but I probably will not wait for sp1 to install 7. I have the RC and it seems to be ok, granted I have not spent a lot of hours using it. IMO Win7 is more of a Vista second edition, they have the same kernel, so my thinking is that a lot of the issues that were worked out in Vista benefits Win7, with Vista paving the way for 7. I am sure there will be some problems though, there always are, but they will get patched. I hope :blink:

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this is the version for UK students
    doesnt work until 1st of october thou.

does anyone know what type of license it is?
    im assuming upgrade?

its annoying that companies do currency converting wrong $30 isnt £30
    Uk students will be getting ripped of by £12

15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Didn't the EU leaders pass a law that require you to have to pay vat tax on everything?

16. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

What has to do tax with currency converting?
    He isn't talking about that.

He is talking about paying in different parts of the world for same product.
    If you live in U.S. and Europe or some place else you will get same product for different amount of money.
    Example, If product costs 30$ , if you are buying from Europe you have to pay 44.16 $ ( 30 € = 44.16 $), or it's even worse in pounds, one will have to pay 48.81 $ (30 £ = 48.81 $).
    At some products if the amount of money for paying is higher, from US. to Europe, someone will have to pay almost double. :ouch:

17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I know what currency conversion is. My question was not about conversion. My question was about the cost. $30 is approx 21£ right? How much is the vat tax? Is the tax in the original price, or is it added on when you purchase it? If it is in the original price then that would account for some of the cost wouldn't it? That was all that I was asking.

But if you want to talk about how products cost around the world that is fine. It has nothing to do specifically with the products bought and sold, but the strength of the different economies. Microsoft software is not the only thing that costs more in Europe than in the U.S. How much is the average cost of gasoline in the EU as compared to the U.S.? What is the average EU median income per household as compared to the U.S.? The underlying reason for the differences has to do with the strength of each country's economy.

I suspect that this is not a conversion error, but the fact that it just costs more in the UK than in the US, just like probably about everything else does.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  18. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Is this only applicable to the US and UK? Any other countries?

19. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2249774/microsoft-gives-details-student

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.