Killbits no longer effective protection?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Over at the avast forums last night or this morning, there was a thread discussing new malware which can (supposedly) easily get around killbit protection.

If this really is a serious new threat, what's likely to happen to happen with SpywareBlaster, which has its most significant protection in the form of killbits?

2. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

A vulnerability was recently discovered that could allow a bypass of the killbit protection in Internet Explorer. However, Microsoft has just issued a Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer to resolve this issue (the patch includes a number of defense-in-depth changes). If you run Windows Update and grab all of the latest updates (a good policy anyway), you'll be patched.

SpywareBlaster utilizes multiple layers of protection precisely because of the potential for things like this. Even unpatched systems are still protected by SpywareBlaster's other layers of protection. But, of course, there is now a patch available from Microsoft - which I would strongly encourage all users to download to ensure you're protected. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, Jc. :) As noted in another thread here, I've been having major problems lately with MS Update, but fortunately I can still access the appropriate patches via the bulletins in their technet section, and installed that IE-8 one last night.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.