Kill socket disabled

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Andrew_&*(, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew_&*(

Andrew_&*( Registered Member

Dear Monitor,

The kill socket function is disabled on my download of Port Explorer. Can I re-enable it? I am using windows 98.

Thanx,

Andrew

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Andrew, welcome to the forum!

It depends on where you click and what you like to kill.
    I mean: there are netstat sockets, most of time looking like *system with that * in front, you can never kill and they can't harm either.
    But when you see for instance your IE icon, at entering a website you might have a whole series of IE icons for all the links to that page, which drop away soon after, and only one or two might remain. You might not be able to kill the socket of that remaining one, but you can kill the process.
    If you think there is an unwanted situation with a socket you can disable sending and receiving.
    This you can use also for example on your email client's sockets when cleaning out your email from spam so they can never trace you back during opening that garbage and you won't see their sockets opening and the senders don't get a validation of your email addy.
    When you disable sending/receiving on a socket or process you won't get results in your socket spy if you enabled that for that specific socket! :)

So you see, it all depends on where and which situation which sockets can be killed or not.

3. Andrew_&*(

Thanks For the helpful info Jooske,

I understand Port Explorer a little better now. My second question was regarding some recently problems with my browser "Opera," which seems to have contracted a virus or something. Also I completely uninstalled it and re-installed and still have the same problem, so I think I have a virus somewhere on my computer. The shell and the web page I am on all of the sudden changes color to reds, orange and yellow and some greens colors. This happens at various times. Sometimes when I am surfing on the net or if I open Microsoft Windows. Can you look at my Hijack thread. Thank you. Also all files are visible and I have run the suggested virus software. Are Spybot and Adware SE still the programs of choice? Thanx.

HJT log removed

Thankx,

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. Andrew_&*(

Thanks Snowbound. Sorry about that.

May I also ask you a question. What is the best antivirus, anti trojan, anti whatever program. I know it was Spybot and Adware SE but is that still the case. Also is Firefox better than opera? Why?

Thanks agan.

Andrew

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No problem. :)

As far as your questions go, just browse the forums, pick the appropriate one for each and ask away. There are many knowledgeable folks here on all aspects of security. People that know a lot more than i do. ;) :D

Take care and happy holidays,

snowbound

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I feel FF is best, and AdAware Spybot are both great, so why not use something good and free ? I still prefer Microsoft AntiSpyware for design. And as more people starts using it, the better it will get :)

8. Andrew_&*(

Thanks Gavin,

I will take your advice. I am using Opera right know but think I will eventually switch to FF. I was also wondering if you could answer a question.

I am using a 30 day trial version of Port Explorer and today when I opened the program instead of opening it took me to the web site and prompted me to buy the program, and the program won't load. How do I stop this? I can't even access the program.

Thanks,

Andrew

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sorry i see this question left unanswered, hope the initial problem is OK.

Port Explorer has a trial time in days or 50 times starting it up so maybe one of those was passed.
    Hope you solved the problem in the meantime with a registration key and a fresh installation with the new full version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.