Kill a process with PG running

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by greg32, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg32

greg32 Registered Member

Hi,
    Just looking for re-assurance that nothing is askew with my config of PG (3.2 ver) on my system. Should I be able to kill my security software, namely NOD32 from within taskmgr? I thought this would bring up an alert from PG. taskmgr is set to be allowed to terminate/modify/read, but NOD is set to be protected from temination. Does this conflict or something. By allowing taskmgr to terminate processes, has that overidden the setting to protect nod from termination? I have read the tips and tricks section which specifically relates to this, but not sure on how it works. I want taskmgr to be able to kill processes, but not security apps. Or is this not possible?

CHeers Greg

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u give a process the ability to terminate processes, this also includes protected processes. im not sure how to get taskmgr to only kill nonprotected apps tho.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you have authorised TM to terminate processes, it will be able to do so.

NOD is being protected from termination by un-authorised progs, such as malware. Sometimes malware can make use of TM to terminate processes on its behalf; for that reason some people like to set TM so that it is not allowed to terminate at all. However this can be a bit inconvenient if you have a buggy prog you want to shut down.

One alternative would be to make use of something like Process Explorer to do your terminating with. Or you could set TM to 'Permit Once' in the security tab, which would give you control over when it was allowed to run.

4. greg32

greg32 Registered Member

Thanks both of you. Topper, I think you hit the nail on the head with the allow once setting. Hehe, I don't run it so often that that would bother me.... if I did, I would get a new computer lol

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.