KEYSTROKE LOGGER?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hendrix, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrix

hendrix Registered Member

Hello. I have not been on the forum for a while so maybe this has already been covered?
    -Sometimes when I try to type a user name or a password or type into a title box (such as the one for the title of this thread) I get the following-

Directly above the task bar and running parallel to it a strange type of bar appears that starts copying what I am typing. This bar starts out from left to right, first with a little red box with an X in it, then the word FIND followed by a box where my typing is copied to. Then there is a little circle with a down arrow in it and the words FIND NEXT. Then there is another circle with an up arrow in it followed by the words FIND PREVIOUS. After that there is a little box followed by the word HIGHLIGHT. Then there is a little box followed by the words MATCH CASE. After this I will get eather a red explanation point followed by the words NOT FOUND, or another little icon followed by the words REACHED END OF PAGE, CONTINUE FROM THE TOP.

Clicking anywhere on this bar does nothing, and I am never able to complete what I am typing. For instance, if I am typing my user name HENDRIX it will begin copying what I am typing in this new bar but will stop before the whole name HENDRIX is complete. It interupts what I am doing and is irritating, but I do not have much trouble getting this activity to stop- I just keep trying a few times and this new bar goes away and typing goes back to normal. This problem is very intermitant and so far I have not been able to find any kind of pattern to it or reason for it's being. I have been wondering if maybe this is a sign of keystroke logging, but this has been going on for several months now and my credit card account, bank account and everything else I have regularly checked is correct. I have not had any signs of identy theft. I run all my antivirus and anti spyware programs frequently and come up clean.

Does anyone know what is going on here?? I run Windows XP service pack 2, Firefox, Gdata Antivirus Kit, Zone Alarm Pro, Microsoft Antispyware, Spy Sweeper, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter, and of course Windows Update. I keep everything up to date and scan often. I also use Gmail exclusively for all of my email.

Any input from anyone would be greately appreciated. And sorry about my spelling- I am the world's woist!

x

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using Firefox? That sounds like the "edit-find in this page" option. If using Firefox, do you have several extensions installed? If so, try a different extension or start Firefox in the safe mode from the start menu. This disables all extensions.
    It may be your profile is corrupted.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  3. hendrix

Thanks ronjor. I thought it looked Firefox like. I do not know what "edit-find in this page" option is or how I got it. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, but still have the problem. Is there a way to just get rid of "edit-find in this page"?

Thank you for your help

RONJOR- I FOUND OUT WHAT "edit-find in this page" IS THROUGH A GOOGLE SEARCH. ( NOW IT SEEMS SO OBVIOUS). WHAT SEEMS TO BE HAPPPENING IS THAT IT OPENS UP SOMETIMES ON IT'S OWN WHEN I START TYPING IN USER NAMES OR PASSWORDS. I THOUGHT REINSTALLING WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM BUT IT DID NOT.- ANY IDEAS?

-HENDRIX

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you try the safe mode to see if the problem goes away? Firefox should be on the start menu along with the Firefox safe mode.

5. hendrix

I tried starting Firefox in Safe Mode from reboot, and I am not sure if it fixed the problem or not because it is so intermitant. Would it be better to run Firefox in Safe Mode from the start menu? Is there a difference?

I really think it is strange that Firefox intermtantly goes into "find in this page" mode only while I am typing in my user name or typing into some title box. Does this make any sence to you? (I do not know much about computers but am learning as fast as I can).

Hendrix

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.