Keyscrambler v Neos Safekeys 3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TerryWood, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Has anyone any commentary about the use, versatility and strengths of either of Neos Safekeys 3 and Keyscrambler?

At first sight Safekeys is clearly more cumbersome than Keyscrambler, but, I have read that keyscrambler can be defeated, whereas I know little about Safekeys other than trying to use it.

You cannot use keyscrambler at the same time as safekeys, the latter disables the former when in use.

Welcome any commentary

Terry

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i can say one thing only and it's that keyscrambler pro can be easilly terminated and as because of that you ended up unprotected,i tried some rouges and also it terminated it's running service ,it is not secure as keyscramblerpro stops scrambling the keyboard:) now for the free version is diferent as it is a plug in so if a keylogger try to steal data and it kill keycrambler free then it will have to kill the plug in then it will force the browser to also be kill so nothing to record from browser and when open the browser again it is protected by keycrambler again:thumb: so the free version is way better than the pro version:D

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i love Neo's Safekey.

it's a stand alone and portable product.

if defeats keylogger and scree logger in ways that are not conventional.

it defeats keyloggers not by using keyscrambling but by using mouse input.
    it can also defeats screen logging by turning the mouse pointer invisible.
    it defeats clipboard logging by using drag & drop.

i think it's a very clever little product.
    the only caveat is that your system might be missing the MSCOMCTL.OCX file to run it but that can be easily downloaded.
    that file can also be stored inside the app folder in your USB key should you decide to carry this along with you.

the newest version is v3.
    it's free and i highly recommend it. :)

i use Neo's Safekey to enter the master password in my password manager.

-http://www.aplin.com.au/-

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. diceman

diceman Registered Member

Yeah but does Keyscrambler run on a limited account? No. Does Neo's Safekey? Last time I checked it did. :)

That's one thing I don't understand, seems so many people must be running in admin accounts around here because so many of these anti key logger programs don't even run on a limited account, like SpyShelter for example.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there was a poll here sometimes ago and if i remember correctly around 2/3 of the people run Admin accounts.

i'm one of them. running a limited account is too bothersome imo.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1 I prefer running in Admin Accounts a lot faster (I already get annoyed enough with all my HIPS paranoid pop ups :D )

7. jackmccoy

jackmccoy Registered Member

"You cannot use keyscrambler at the same time as safekeys, the latter disables the former when in use"

Uh, no. Keyscrambler ((Pro or Free) only works with particular programs and since it DOESN'T work with Safekey it cannot conflict. If you use Safekey with Firefox, for instance, (don't know why you'd do that, but say you did) Safekey does NOT operate within Firefox so the two (KS & SK) would never meet.

As far as being defeated, that is actually quite unimportant. When Keyscrambler is active, it puts a green banner above (or below) the window. No banner means that you've got a keylogger, baby. Stop what you're doing and fix it.

I'm a big fan of noisy keyboards (having grown up with typewriters and the old IBM keyboard). There's a free program that I use called JingleKeys which simulates the good old days of noise BUT to work it needs to hook into the keyboard, like a keylogger. Bottom-line, when Keyscrambler is active, I get no sound from Jinglekeys so IF I start hearing sound then I KNOW that KeyScrambler is not active, without even looking at the screen.

(Further) bottom-line: KeyScrambler is completely trouble-free, uses negligible resources and (the Pro version) protects almost everything that I need. It is a terrific solution for almost all cases, IMHO.

The other anti-keyloggers (like Zemana) continually alert to completely innocuous programs and, even though I KNOW it is a false alert, I'm still not positive and it makes me bigtime nervous. With KeyScrambler, I don't have to do a thing and am (almost) completely protected

8. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I started using LUA and SRP more than a year ago. Unless you are installing software, it really isn't inconvenient. I don't install anywhere near as much as I used to, but most I do try installs with surun. There is certainly some inconvenience early on trying to identify things you run which aren't in Program Files or Windows.

That said, if convenience is your goal, I would not consider using a picture of a keyboard and mouseclicks to enter passwords being very convenient. Especially if you have a 20 character password with several caps and special characters, but to each his own.

9. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Neos Safekeys wins in my book. Its standalone, portable, LUA friendly and it kicks ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I am with you on the same boat..my good friend:)

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb:

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

;) :thumbd: :) just kidding:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.