Keyscrambler- questions!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ams963, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Can I use Keyscrambler with EAM, OA, MBAM or in fact any other AVs, HIPS? Will there be any incompatibility issues? Does Avs and HIPS perform the same function as Keyscrambler or maybe to some extent? Will using Keyscrambler in browsers reduce the functionality of those three apps on browsers? Like KS does the Kernel thing as it encrypts so maybe the three apps also do something in the Kernel level to protect browsers so may hinder ks or vice verse I don't know. And does KeyScrambler really protect pcs from keyloggers effectively?

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

yes you can use KeyScrambler with EAM,OA,MBAM and many other security products.:thumb:

3. Function

Function Registered Member

I use KeyScrambler and I have Online Armor and MalwareBytes AM as well. I don't use EAM but I have Hitman Pro as well.

You should have no issues with it at all.

4. carat

carat Guest

Does this bug still exist? :doubt:

I've never received an answer from the developer ... :(

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I rarely get them nowadays in contrast to the old days. But still very rarely wrong keywords does appear in the main writing.

Me neither. :'(

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@ViVek and @Function
    Thx a lot for the confirmation guys. :thumb:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Apparently he's notorious for not responding.
    I usually just keep resending (forwarding) the same support request to him every 4-7 days until he replies.
    Or I take his program off my computer, like I did with my W7 box.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Whatcha gonna do.jpg

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

So he does reply if this method is applied, ay? Well I've no prob doing that. Thx for the tip Page. :D

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Oh yeah. Eventually he replies.
    Probably because he gets tired of seeing my messages in his inbox.
    I've never had to resend more than 2-3 times, but rest assured, I would do it a whole lot more if needed.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. Great way to get reply- annoy him. He he.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Exactly.
    Let us know how it works for you, IM.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I will but you gotta wait for 3 to 4 days. ;)

13. carat

carat Guest

Ok guys, please stalk him until the mentioned bug is fixed! :D Thank you.

14. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Keyscrambler is fairly unique in that it encrypts keystrokes between keyboard and the application (e.g. the browser). None of those other apps do the same, however Online Armor protects against keyboard or kernel level hooking in the first place. In other words, OA protects against the keyboard logger infection, KS protects (post-infection) against the keyboard logger doing its thing.

KS doesn't protect your browser. It protects the bit between your keyboard and the browser. This was fine several years ago, but most modern malware capture browser content after any decryption by KS. So KS is near-useless against malware these days. It is still partially effective against commercial keyloggers though (e.g. your wife/boss is spying on you). In practice, Online Armor provides much wider protection against keylogging/MITB malware than anything KS can do.

15. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Completely true so I've got nothing to say here.

This is where I begin to have issues with your post. You're comparing a real-time protection component with a preventative protection component. I'm unsure about Online Armor (Or OA as you call it) but Kaspersky has two settings when dealing with security it either chooses for you, or prompts you for a response. Both of these causes a problem as if it decides for you it may choose wrong (There are good uses for kernel hooks) and if you choose you may allow something dangerous. Keyscrambler on the other hands doesn't do anything to prompt the user or block things as they happen it simply provides a new way of security to mitigate the risk of an application stealing your keystrokes. So in essence OA protects against keyloggers the same way Norton, Kaspersky, etc. protect against viruses and Keyscrambler encrypts keystrokes.

Keyscrambler doesn't fail encrypting but security suites can fail to protect. Nothing is perfect in the world of computer security.

It protects your browser from anything that may have infected your system which is in essence still protecting your browser albeit not completely.

At what point did keyloggers stop existing? I hadn't heard the news, I didn't know that form grabbing etc. are now the only ways of stealing user data. Keyloggers still exist, still spread, and still function. Keyscrambler is a simple little utility that protects against them wonderfully.

Keyscrambler can exist alongside OA (or any other realtime component for that matter) and provide it's unique protection. Realtime protection can and will fail it always has and always will. Does that make it worthless? No, it's still useful to have around but don't go around making everyone think some realtime av is going to make them immune.

P.S. Your attachment to OA is noted, I am a fan of Kaspersky as well but you don't have to come into a thread about another product and preach your gospel as if it's the new version of sliced bread.

16. Scoobs72

A strange response from you. For the record, I'm not using OA so I don't really have gospel to speak of. The OP specifically asked about OA that's why I mentioned it in my response. Perhaps you didn't notice that in the original post.

I do think you are missing my main point...which is that KS protects against a method of keylogging which is not much used by malware these days, and where it is used it tends not to be a primary method. Take a close look at some of the published analysis of malware such as Zeus, Spyeye and Silentbanker and you'll see this is correct. Keylogging has largely moved on from hooking the keyboard (via the various means) to form-grabbing.

KIS, especially KIS 2013 (according to the report commissioned by Kaspersky via Matousec) would be appear to a very good solution for banking malware. But mentioning Kaspersky is drifting a bit off-topic I guess, because the OP originally asked about Keyscrambler and OA (as the OP referred to it) :cautious:

17. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The above is not true. The OP is asking using KeyScrambler with other AV and so forth. Here is what the OP asks:

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Like he said, the first post refers to OA. Someone then commented (correctly) that OA's HIPS would likely prevent keylogging anyways.

19. Scoobs72

Thank you Hungry Man.

20. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Ah, I did not I was actually sent here by a link in a PM from the original poster.

I'm not saying it's not less common simply that it still exists and is therefore a perfectly liable way for someone to steal keystrokes. That being said the target of the malware will largely depend on what type of malware is used. For example I first started using keyscrambler when I played runescape all the time (I'm a dork I know don't judge me) I highly doubt the people who would like to steal my Runescape password are the creators of Zeus or SpyEye (Or have the leaked source) and have the knowledge to make use of either.

Keyscrambler protects against something less common but it does it well without notification and without slowing the system.

Again I was directed here by the OP in a PM:
    Edit: The "this" was a hyperlink to snoob's post.

My only goal was to explain that Keyscrambler may be useful and not to let it be completely overshadowed by programs that use a vast amount of your computers resources and are still commonly bypassed. That being said I would still recommend using both in unison as I believe a layered approach is best.

21. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Yes, KeyScrambler is a good edition to be used in addition to any AV/HIPS and so forth. Whether that HIPS is OA, SpyShelter or KIS. KeyScrambler does what other HIPS don't do and can't do. I use it in combination with an excellent HIPS called, SpyShelter.

And, the OP refers to other AVs, like EAM, MBAM beside OA.

So, why not discuss KIS with KeyScrambler or SpyShelter with KeyScrambler?

Why are we restricted to discussing KeyScrambler with OA only?

Best regards,

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  22. Scoobs72

It's a good question to ask "Where is KS useful" and I think the answer lies in protecting applications other than browsers, e.g. protecting a Truecrypt login. So as part of a layered setup it does work if you recognise the specific areas where KS is indeed effective, as well as recognising where its not effective. So, good point Tomwa. :thumb:

23. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

keyscrambler is very good at what it does that is scramble the key strokes protecting against keyloggers. To answer Iron Man's question "Will there be any incompatibility issues?"- I haven't yet experienced or heard about anything like that. If you are trying to better protect your data when you visit website and it is compromised or someone hijacks your session IME the software's you mentioned won't be able to protect your sensitive information. I used to think visiting a site through https [when available] is the answer for the paranoia I face..but not so much after reading this "New Tricks For Defeating SSL In
    Practice" by Moxie Marlinspike http://www.blackhat.com/presentatio.../BlackHat-DC-09-Marlinspike-Defeating-SSL.pdf :shifty:

24. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I agree this is just about all there is to say.

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

~ Removed Off Topic Remarks ~

I have both Pro + Premium licenses for Key scrambler but recent builds have proved to be problematic for myself with very little help from support. Personally I've moved on from KS, if KS works well for you PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.