Keylogging software - serious threat?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Norrismj, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norrismj

Norrismj Registered Member

Hi

I have just had a looked at some of the messages placed over the last few months and I note that there is mention of anti-keylogging software. Just how significant a threat to the average user is the use of keylogging software. Is this something that I should worry about or is the threat more imagined than real?

Mike

2. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

Hello Norrismj.

Keyloggers are a real threat, and growing, due to the increasing number of people performing financial operations online and other activities involving sensitive data.

Hardware keyloggers are not detected by many (most) anti-spyware or anti-virus solutions. They are used, for example, in private investigations. In many cases a hardware keylogger is detectable via visual inspection, but it may not be that easy.

Software keyloggers are in principle detected by good anti-spyware and anti-virus applications, although no product detects everything.
    If you have an updated anti-virus solution which also has spyware detection, and if you take care with what you download/execute, you should be ok.
    If your anti-virus product does not do specific spyware detection (which most good anti-viruses already do), you are advised to get an anti-spyware application. In fact, you can get one anti-spyware on-demand scanner even if you have a spyware-detecting antivirus, to provide a second opinion.

According to your level of experience and particular situation, you may also be interested in a sandbox. DefenseWall, for example, warns about certain keylogging activities.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Some AV/AS don't offer detection on comercial keyloggers.
    But if access to you're computer is limited only to you, you have safe computer habits and started with a clean system, it's unlikely that a keylogger affects you.

Personally I don't worry at all about keylogger on my laptop, but I use some protection software when I'm on other computers (friends, work, airports, etc).

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

More certain, DefenseWall blocks those types of keyloggers that are possible to block without huge compatibility issues and warns about those of the keylogging activities that may be used by a legitimate software.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

As to how serious keyloggers should be taken, personally I would much rather my hard disk be totally wiped out by a virus than have my bank account wiped out by someone who stole my pass codes via a keylogger.

6. chuckfrasher

chuckfrasher Registered Member

I was just reading about Defensewall. It sounds like a pretty good way to prevent keyloggers. I also just started using Returnil. I guess a keylogger would disappear when you restart, but until then I guess a keylogger could track your info and send it out.

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

- Start with a pristine "clean" image of system drive of OS and programs only.
    - Image the system drive.
    - Run with Faronics anti-executable.
    - Restore the clean image whenever you want. Mine restores in 2 1/2 minutes flat.

= No keyloggers without all the extra weighty security programs.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

Or follow the advice given here to prevent them in the first place. You can tighten security even more by adding a Software Restriction Policy as described on http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/ if you're using XP Pro.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

mine wil protect you.:D

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

my experience would suggest that for many the threat is more imagined than real.

If, however you want to use Internet Banking, pay credit card bills etc then I would suggest that you consider using a Returnil, DeepFreeze type program.
    Reboot just before going to your bank and any keylogger that might have been there should now be gone

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would rank it up there with any type of malware, maybe worse.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is what Kris with AD had to say about them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  13. chuckfrasher

Gerard, thank you so much for this. I will definitely read up on this and try it out. I hope it is not too difficult because my knowledge is very limited. I am also wondering if using these products will protect an external hard drive and USB sticko_O?

14. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

A friend sent me an article where the gentleman claimed that he discovered his new laptop had a hardware keylogger built into it. He then made the inference, if I remember, that all new laptops were produced with keyloggers.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this claim?
    Don't ask me to dismantle my laptop, I'm hardware illiterate.:rolleyes:

15. chuckfrasher

I have never heard of it. I will look it up.

16. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

18. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@lonewolf:

I believe benny bronx was thinking of the laptop described earlier

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I believe you are right.
    That's what I get for staying up so late.
    In that case, i'm really do not know.

EDIT:

I did find this googleing around

lkl.png

So I guess they do make them small enough for laptops.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  20. steve161

Good morning:

No, I meant generally speaking, where would a hardware keylogger most likely be. The picture was just for ...... I don't know, it was late.

21. steve161

As far as the two examples shown, I, and most members, are way too anal about their computers not to quickly notice one of these.

22. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I guess that answers my question. I didn't know if they would be obvious or not.
    Thanks!

23. chuckfrasher

So I guess even with a sandbox or virtual program that empties everything, a keylogger can still get your passwords and stuff during that session and send it out.....even though it will not be able to remain on the system. So how can your product prevent this?

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Flush the sandbox before doing anything sensitive (entering bank credentials, etc) and start a new, fresh sandbox session.
    A little bit of discipline :)

25. steve161

That would work only if you installed sandboxie (or returnil or deep freeze) on a fresh install and always used it when surfing, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.