Keylogger detection software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChrisP, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Just interested to know if anyone out there has any info / comparisons on SpyCop or "Who's watching me"- by trapware?

I use Spycop, but have downloaded Trapwares offering and am trying that out.

What other keylogger detectors are there out there - any which dont use a signature database - but use heuristics etc?

Cheers for any feedback

2. controler

controler Guest

Hi

Anti-Keylogger does not use a database
    and they now offer Privacy Keyboard.
    I looked at Privacy Keyboard but am not sure why they aren't password protecting it like they do Anti-Keylogger.
    I wrote them a few e-mails on things I was concered about but never got any responce.
    I wrote them about some things in Anti-Keylogger and their only automated reply was, Hey Try our new software Privacy Keyboard.
    I wrote back and said no thanks, your support really sucks. lol

con

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

In my travels, I came accross Netcop, which has a real time scanner. I installed it and updated the database and it seems OK. however, I wanted to know how many keyloggers were in the database so i emailed their support - and found my email failed - as it has to every address on their site, so I guess they are out of business.

I looked at the list of keyloggers they say it detects - displayed on their site - and it looks to be about 100 or so - not that many.

I have also tried antikeylogger - but that only found my antivirus, firewall and glidepoint - so not much joy there!

I have noticed that my AV (f-Secure) has found every keylogger i have downloaded so far - so Im just going to stick with SpyCop and hope my AV protects me iun real-time!

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Chris - I don't know whether you use it or not, but SpyCop contains a screensaver feature that'll run quick checks for keyloggers every time the screensaver kicks in (you have to set SpyCop to "Only scan files that were created after the last scan" for it to work right).

That's about as close to "real-time scanning" as SpyCop gets, but it's better than nothing.

As regards programs that DO real-time scanning, you might want to look into Advanced Anti Keylogger: http://www.anti-keylogger.net/ .

I trialed that one before it went pay (and it ain't cheap now - $90 US on sale!) and I really liked it. Depends on how far you want to go, I guess. Pete

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have tried that one - it found my firewall, antivirus and again my glidepoint thing. $90!!! I would rather have my keystroks logged and keep the money!

It would be interesting if someone did a comparison/test of all the keylogger detection software out there..... Paul?

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Chris,

At the Wilders-org site is something written about anti-keyloggers:
    http://www.wilders.org/spyware.htm
    You might have a look there.

I myself have SpyCop.

AVs, ATs and anti-spyware progs can detect also some of them; if you have TDS-3 for example then have a look at their database (primary list) and do a search for keylogger.

Programs like HijackThis and ASViewer might also do a good job in trying to detect an unwanted "thing".

And there are (yes, it's me again ;) ) the so called "file-integrity-checkers".
    Depending on the program, they will alert you -on demand- for every changed file on your system or some kind of files (based on extension).
    You might have a look at NISFileCheck, now in the Wilders-archieve and no longer maintained.
    Or at the not-free ADinf32 from the same company that makes DrWeb. It can alert you for every changed (changed, deleted, new) file on your system; the checksum algorithm used could be a bit stronger IMHO.
    http://www.dials.ru/english/dsav_toolkit/adinf32.htm

7. controler

controler Guest

There seems to be some confusion here and it is easy to understand why.

There are two completly different antikeylogger programs and not even by the same company.

AntiKeylogger by Spydex, Inc. ( I didn't like this program)

http://www.anti-keylogger.net/

and Anti-Keylogger with the hypen by Raytown Corp. found @ (I like this program )
    I don't like their new program Privacy Keyboard and I really hate their support.

http://www.anti-keyloggers.com

Hope this helps

controler

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, to be perfectly accurate ( :D ), the first one you referred to above is actually named Advanced Anti Keylogger (the one by spydex, that is).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.