Keyboard based copy/paste between X sessions and the VTs?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

So we all know by now that Xorg renders Linux DAC moot the moment you su to root (or sudo) in an xterm as a limited user.

I'm thinking the correct way to handle this, especially now that KMS makes VT switching more reliable, is to remove one's user from the wheel group and do all admin work directly on a VT.

gpm is supposed to cover this, sort of, with mouse repeat; but I'm having trouble getting that working. And gpm is all mouse based. Does there exist any kind of daemon, or something, that allows copy/paste between VTs and X sessions using the keyboard only?

Edit: though on second thought, VT switching could itself present a problem couldn't it... And vulnerabilities in setuid binaries like X, and in the kernel itself, are a dime a dozen... And it's not like anyone needs root to do damage. So this may be a waste of time.

(It seems to me like local security is still all eggs in one basket; even "robust" multiuser kernels like Linux and WinNT are entirely unsuited for dealing with an untrusted local user, or restricting an untrusted process. I'm convinced there has to be a smarter way of doing things though...)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.