Ketarin: Keep your setup packages up-to-date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rendez2k, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Found this yesterday (http://ketarin.canneverbe.com) - its a little package that downloads and installs software updates, and works with filehippo (which I never realised was so rubbish!!). Worked well in my initial tests.

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I think it requires .NET2 ?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ketarin

Keep your setup packages up-to-date...
    Home
    Screenshots
    How-to
    Download
    Forum
    What is it all about?

Ketarin is a small application which automatically updates setup packages. As opposed to other tools, Ketarin is not meant to keep your system up-to-date, but rather to maintain a compilation of all important setup packages which can then be burned to disc or put on a USB stick.

I created this application, because I couldn't find something like it when I needed such a functionality. Since I don't want my efforts go to waste, I decided to release it to the public. Ketarin is open source, so you can also extend its functionality to fit your needs (just note that you may not use the icons that ship with it freely as well). I'd also appreciate source code contributions. Ketarin is written in C#, for the .NET Framework 2.0 and uses SQLite as database engine.
    How does it work?

Basically, it monitors the content of web pages for changes and downloads files to a specified location. There is a tutorial explaining it all. Currently, you can either rely on a service based on FileHippo, or you can define your own rules, even using regular expressions (for advanced users). A similar application, for monitoring web pages, is Webmon and has sometimes served as guide.

Does not install the updates.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use: Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

98 out of 100 PCs have 1 or more insecure programs installed! Download the free Secunia PSI and check your PC for insecure programs exposing you to security threats!

VULNERABLE ?
    Did you know that many of the hacker attacks and security threats today exploit software vulnerabilities and code flaws?

UPDATED ?
    Keeping your PC and especially your 3rd party programs updated requires you to search the Internet for updates and patches on a regular basis - for all the programs installed on your PC.

WHATS ON YOUR PC ?
    The typical user has 30-60 programs installed - do you know which programs you have installed? Do you know which programs expose you to security threats?

SECURE ?
    Is your PC secure? Do you have all the latest security updates and patches?

PROTECT YOURSELF !
    Security patches are usually free and available for download from the program vendors. Let the Secunia PSI pinpoint exactly which patches you need to secure your PC.

The Secunia PSI is a free security tool designed with the sole purpose of helping you secure your computer against vulnerabilities in programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.