Kernel logger fault after Migrate to SSD

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by emueyes, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emueyes

emueyes Registered Member

Hi All

I have a new error on my system, which has happened immediately after migrating my OS to a new SSD [ Win7, 64bit, SP1 onto a Samsung 128G 830].

Running the Windows Experience Index and trying to refresh it gives the error that "the kernel logger could not be started".

Also, running 'winsat disk' at a command line also gives the same error that it failed to start the kernel logger.

There seem to be a few reports of this error on the web, mostly with the ghastly 'try clean booting it' type advice, a few seemingly related to SSDs. I can't guarantee that my error is SSD related, but it's very strong circumstantial evidence.

So after a look around the web proved unfruitful I thought I'd ask here. The tool worked fine, amazingly well actually; I'd like to verify that the drive's been aligned properly and noticed here a tool that seems to do just that. Nice.

Anyone have advice on the kernel logger thing? It's nothing as easy or obvious as a service with that name, and I've no idea how important the logging actually is; it'd be nice to see my WEI jump though :)

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

For the Kernel logging issue attempt to load into the command prompt as administrator, then run sfc/scannow, and see if that will repair your issue. If you want to see if the disk is aligned you can attempt to download the Paragon Alignment free scan utility, or you can go into msinfo32 under hardware find the drive and partitions and divide the offset by 1024 if it comes out even the partition is aligned.

3. emueyes

emueyes Registered Member

Thanks, I got this sorted out, or rather, it just sorted itself out. I can run the WEI with no problems. (It gave me a nice jump from 5.9 to 7.9 for Disk, very satisfying :)

In researching the problem, and how to get the best out of an SSD, I found the phenomenal amount of logging that Windows does by default. Turning the logging off doesn't improve performance, but might help the longevity of the SSD.

I found the AS SSD benchmark is also good for finding alignment issues, and in determining which driver is being used.

It's also very hard to put meaningful numbers on SSD performance, it turns out. Yes it feels quicker, but by how much? Windows loads in half the time, but so what? I only reboot when I have to, maybe once a month. And yet the system does feel smoother, more 'Buttery' as they say. I wish I could add up all those seconds of time saved into a contiguous half hour or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.