Kernel Bug TI Enterprise 9.1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JimmyJ, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Registered Member

I am evaluating for a corporate decision. I took a new ASUS T3 workstation that we use in house with dual Seagate 320 SATA drives. Installed a mock windows 2000 server and then TI 9.1 Enterprise edition.

Created a rescue disk. Tried to boot from rescue and get below message using full version. It will allow me to enter using safe mode (this is no good).

Kernel BUG at generic.c:115
    Invalid Operand: 0000

Researched this site and google for 2 hours. Disabled JMicron Raid, still same result. Disabled NVIDIA nforce networking controller, still same error.

Product seems interesting but cannot recommend in corporate structure unless it works.

Any other solutions or work around would be appreciated.:thumbd:

Thanks in advance.

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Registered Member

Same here with TI 9.1 Workstation (german, build 3887): ASUS M2N-SLI board, two 250 MB SATA drives (Seagate). Disabled/enabled JMicron chip. A created boot cd with isolinux (starting via kernel.dat and ramdisk.dat) showed the same error with options 'acpi=off noapic' set or not set.

With this board I think I have to use my BartPE compilation.

3. owy

owy Registered Member

I have had the same problem with TI 9.1 Workstation running on an Asus P5B-DX board. Trying to boot from a CD connected to the JMicron 363 IDE port caused the same error, and it happened even if I disconnected the IDE cable from the CD and tried to boot from a USB CD drive. I finally got past it by completely disabling the JMicron controller in the BIOS. I got a few diagnostics on startup, but it booted from the USB drive and restore ran ok. The JMicron FAQ suggests using the kernel parm "all-generic-ide=1" to avoid the problem with older kernels (< 2.6.18 ), but I have not tried it. I think that you may be right, oldjoe, and the best way to approach this is to build one's own boot disk. When I get time...

4. oldjoe

oldjoe Registered Member

@owi,

I tried the kernel parm 'all-generic-ide=1' with and without 'acpi=off noapic', but it doesn't work for me. With JMicron enabled in BIOS, I get the 'Kernel BUG at generic.c:115', with JMicron disabled the Acronis screen appears, but going on two or three steps, the program reboots without any warning. While Disk Director 10 has no problems on this machine, it seems the kernel in TI9.1 has a problem with sata drives (?).

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JimmyJ and oldjoe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you're not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stops scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. oldjoe

oldjoe Registered Member

Hi Marat,

sorry, but with a from scratch created boot cd (cd+rw) I was not able to reproduce the error I saw earlier. I followed your advice, all went well. Except one condition: I couldn't choose the "Full Version", because this computer acts as licence server under Windows - not reachable via rescue cd :doubt:

The restricted mode lets me check an older ti image stored on the second sata hd, so I assume ti 9.1 build 3887 is functional with this ASUS board. I don't know why all my earlier attempts failed and caused a reboot, when ti tried to inspect the hard drives. May be the image written to the ti rescue cd was somehow damaged. But exactly that version was overwritten by the actual one, so no verification can be done now.

So please excuse my ranting in the previous posts

Joachim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.