Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro and RollBack RX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by squid13, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I have a license for Keriver 1 click restore pro and I have RollBack on my computer. I know you have to uninstall rollback to make an image but would you have to uninstall rollback just to install 1 click. Does 1 click make an image as part of the install process and if it does then I'd have to uninstall rollback? Windows 7Pro 64 bit. Does anyone have 1 click install along side with Rollback and do they get along with each other?

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I've never used K1CRP so I can't answer your question about how well it co-exists with Rollback Rx, but I sure don't know where you got the impression that 'you have to uninstall Rollback Rx to make an 'image' (backup).... o_O

....I can tell you from first-hand experience, that is not true!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. squid13

I guess I got that from reading some threads on this forum. From what I understand if I image my drive all I get is the current snapshot and I'd loose all my old snapshots, I wouldn't get rollback and all my snapshots. I know you should uninstall to do a complete defag of your drive and some then also do an image before they reinstall again. I guess that's where I got it from. If image with Macrium Reflect would I get a complete image of my drive?

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Well, if you uninstall RB there goes your snapshots, so how would that serve your backup goal? Besides which, as far as I'm concerned uninstalling-reinstalling RB is a pain in the butt. Insofar as having to do that to defrag your disk, I ask why the need to defrag the disk? If you defragged your disk before installing RB, there really shouldn't be a need to do it any more. RB's snapshot defragger is all you need.

If you want to backup your C-drive with RB and all of its snapshots you must first bootup into another OS (BartPE/WinPE/Linux) and run an 'all-sectors' (also referred to as 'sector-by-sector', raw mode', 'maintenance mode' or 'forensic mode') backup of your C-drive from that 'outside' OS. I've never used Macrium Reflect, but if it has those capabilities it should work. While this method will take more time (and more space) then a typical image backup, upon restoring the image you won't have to do anything else and all of your snapshots will be intact. ;)

Btw, this method works best with a relatively small C-partition, as that will facilitate smaller and faster backups!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  5. squid13

Thank You for your responses. I'm new to RollBack so I guess you could say I'm in the learning mode.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

During install, 1CRP gives the option to make a baseline image, but it doesn't force you to do so.

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

i haven't tried keriver 1-click pro together with rollback, but they both add a pre-boot screen to your system, so there's a good chance of a conflict. (i can try the combination on a virtual 64-bit Win7, but give me a day or two...)

second, you don't need to uninstall rollback to image your system, however, if you do image it with rollback installed, then you should choose to make a sector-by-sector image (aka raw image or backup with ununsed space included) because the space that shows up as unused is actually used by rollback rx. however, sector-by-sector images are larger and slower to create so you might as well just uninstall rollback, defrag your system, do other maintenance, create a backup image of it, then re-install rollback. but if you want to save your rollback images then go with the raw backups...

third, i think it's safer to boot from a BartPE or WinPE disk to image the partition/s protected by Rollback Rx. Just make sure you don't modify anything within those partitions while Rollback is not watching.

8. squid13

bellgamin and pajenn thank you for your responses to my question. pajenn I'd be interested in seeing the results of your test. Have a Great day.

9. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

short version: rollback rx continued to work. keriver installed fine and took snapshot fine, which i could mount to recover files, etc., however, when i tried to restore a keriver snapshot it failed.

long version: The test machine was a 64-bit Windows 7 VM with 1 GB ram and a 60 GB hard disk divided into 3 partitions; 25 GB system partition (C: ), 29 GB logical partition for backups etc. (D: ), and a 6 GB partition for something else, but currently empty (X: ). I first installed Rollback Rx 9.1 and set it to protect the system partition (C: ). That went fine. I then installed Keriver 1-Click Pro, which chose to use the D: partition for snapshots and recovery console. The install went fine. It took a baseline shot, which was kind of slow. It reported that the Volume Shadow Service was not supported for C: which may or may not be due to Rollback's presence. In any case, I rebooted, deleted some files, took some Rollback snapshots, took an incremental snapshot with Keriver (again very slow and no VSS), but that was fine. In terms of boot screens, Rollback Rx shows up first followed by Keriver's boot screen. I tried reverting to an earlier snapshot with Rollback, and that went fine, but when I tried the same thing with Keriver, it reported an error message and the machine rebooted. fwiw, Rollback still worked fine afterward and there was no BSOD type problems, but YMMV. I took some screen shots of the virtual machine that show the Rollback and Keriver setups and Keriver error messages.

Personally would not try to use these two products together. I suggest you pick one, and if you pick Rollback Rx, I'd find a more complementary full imaging program to go along with it; something that you do not need to install on your system permanently and can instead boot off a separate boot disk to create backups or to do restores, and it should let you do sector-by-sector backups (I did not see this option in Keriver). You could try Macrium Reflect Free, but you would have to build a BartPE or WinPE boot disk for it yourself, whereas some of the commercial alternatives (including Macrium Reflect Full) let you download an iso version of such a boot disk which you can then burn onto a CD or USB.

Attached Files:

10. squid13

pajenn that is a very interesting report, Thank You. I have Rollback on my machine and I have the paid version of Macrium Reflect with a Windows PE boot disk, so I'll leave it at that and put the Keriver on my XP machine. Thanks again for doing the test.

11. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Do not backup Rollback RX from a PE unless you do a raw image.
    Backing up from a PE will save your baseline snapshot, if you want to save the current snapshot you must do a hot backup from inside windows.

@pajenn
    Your test is flawed. A hot backup which cannot lock the partition files (VSS error) is unreliable and should not be used as an example.

Panagiotis

12. squid13

pandlouk thank you for the info for imaging. I'm in the learning mode for RollBack and everything helps.

13. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

So how do you propose I change my test to find out if Rollback and 1-Click Pro get along together?

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@squid13
    You are welcome. :)

Try to take another image. If it gives you again the vss error report it to 2010freesoho.

I also see this as a flaw in 1-Click Restore, if it did not warn you if you want to continue with the image or not; better yet should not allow you to continue all together with the imaging from inside the OS. Best case scenario some files in the image are corrupted, worst case scenario the OS partition will get corrupted during the restoration and you will not be able to boot after the restore.

Panagiotis

15. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

Hi,
    Sorry for the problem of Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro 2.1.
    This bug has been fixed today and please download the version v2.1 (Build 2695631789) and try again.
    Don't need to take snapshots again because there isn't any errors with the snapshot files you had taken before.

Thanks,
    River

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  16. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Update:

I updated 1-Click to v2.1 and used it to restore the incremental snapshot I had made earlier with v2.0. There was no error message this time and Keriver started to load the snapshot fine. I went for a jog while it was loading, so I didn't see if there was a problem at then end, but when I got back the VM had rebooted to Windows. Everything was working fine, but I don't think the restore worked properly because things had not reverted back to the way they were at the time I made the incremental snapshot. For example, the VM had Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro v2.1 running instead of v2.0 that I used at the time of the snapshot, and even the installer for it was still on the desktop (I just downloaded it a few hours ago). Also, all Rollback Rx snapshots were still intact, including the ones I took after the incremental snapshot. However, I've seen this type of result before with other backup programs when Rollback is installed, so I don't think think it's a Keriver problem.

@squid13:

I think 1-Click Pro v2.1 should work fine on your 64-bit Windows 7 as long as you only make backups with it when Rollback is uninstalled (uninstalling it for backups and maintenance is standard practice anyway among Rollback users). fwiw, I uninstalled Rollback while Keriver was installed without problems - I think the two can co-exist peacefully. But since you have the Pro version of Macrium Reflect, you might as well use the WinPE boot cd from that to create backups (the tiny linux based Macrium recovery CD won't do as it's only good for restores). In Macrium Reflect's Advanced tab (at the end of 'Create Backup Wizard'), you can choose either 'Intelligent sector copy' (default) or 'Make an exact copy (clone).' If you have Rollback installed then choose the latter option. Otherwise the former is fine (it's faster and produces smaller images). Also, be careful not to modify partitions protected by Rollback while booted to WinPE (for example, no running ChkDsk), except for full (clone) restores.

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

from what i gather Rollback RX and Keriver 1-Click Restore are the same type of app, if not the same app...

there's no point in having both installed on the same machine.

18. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.