Kerio Personal firewall v4.2.0 - Does it break your MS Office?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JLamy, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLamy

JLamy Registered Member

Hi. On 3 fresh installations of Windows XP Pro with SP2, I find that as soon as I install Kerio Personal Firewall v4.2.0 some of Microsoft Office applications won't work any more. When I try to start Access, Excel or Word, each application will cause an internal error message box - Illegal operation I think. Only way to resolve is to uninstall Kerio which is a shame as I like Kerio at the moment. Another problem I notice which I think quite likely something to do with Kerio is that the Office Update through IE wont work either. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I now having to resort to Zone Alarm 6 I guess.

2. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

I didn't have any issues w/ MS Office (2003) when I tried KPF 4.2, but it sure caused my internet connection to SLOW DOWN, and I couldn't ever get it configured to pass the Shields Up! fw test. Looks like I'll be going back to v. 2.1.5

3. JLamy

JLamy Registered Member

hmm strange. Thought Kerio 4 would bug free by now eh.... I have not noticed any internet slow down using v4.1.3 or v4.2.0.

Anyway, have installed Zone Alarm Pro, and my system not liking it much. It now takes a minute to shutdown my system from 15 seconds, and at system logon takes 2mins before I can actually do anything on the PC as mouse pointer over the task bar just gives the 'busy' hour glass. Cant work out why either, even from looking in the event viewer. Why isnt any firewall working for me? :(
    Guess I should try Kerio again, or Outpost. Will Outpost 3 have a better system tray icon like Kerio or Zone Alarm's , as the current one is only useful for seeing what profile you're using.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I didn't notice any problems with Office apps when using Kerio 4.2, but I am on a Win2k system, so perhaps that makes the difference.

If Kerio 4.2 or ZA 6 is no good for you, have you tried Kerio 2.1.5? It's much leaner and lighter and shouldn't slow anything down there or cause any problems. Many use and like it.

5. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I'm running Kerio PF 4.2 free version with MS Office XP on Windows XP Pro and have no problems with Office, no problems with office update and IE, no problems with internet slow downs; in fact, no problems at all :cool: :D

6. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Exactly the same here. ;)

7. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I don't know about 3.0 but there is a plugin for the current 2.7 version that will give you a zonealarm like tray icon that shows the inbound/outbound traffic. See here for details: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

8. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

I am running Kerio 4.2.0, and I have no problems at all with any of the microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Access...etc). It's running very smooth here. I am using Windows XP Pro. with the latest updates.

9. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

+1, Exactly the same here. #1

10. BoP

BoP Guest

Yes MS-Office 2003 Update1 and Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2 do NOT work together!
    Seen this on 4 systems...

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I find it hard to believe that any firewall would have problems with MS Office or the other way.
    If it happens then it must be something else and if it is really true, than I would ditch the firewall without any hesitation, even when it was the very best firewall.
    If I have a compatibility problem between any application software and any security software, I always get rid of the security software, because I can do alot more things with application softwares than with security softwares.

12. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

kerio "should" :D ... work okay
    I guess you have got the settings okay?
    Theres no way you had it make an 'wall app rule to disallow run and remember that?
    But za may also have headaches unforseen then to?
    I guess the only way to know 'bout za..... is try.

13. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I would be one user with Kerio latest version and using MS Office 2000 and 2003 both with no problems....

Could be a glitch from you're side who knows...

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

14. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

I haven't any problem on Kerio PF 4.2 with office pro 2003, visio 2003, project 2003 and frontpage 2003. Kerio 4.2 works fine.

15. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

The problem arises when you use the HIPS in Kerio. So all of you free users wouldn't have the problem, b/c u guys don't have the HIPS.

16. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I have the Paid version of Kerio which includes the HIPS and I don't have the problem.

17. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

me too.

18. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

I'm using the FREE version for the moment and I've disabled HIPS as I was slightly concerned by some forums postings about this new feature so I've left it off.

Zero problems with Kerio so far, I like it very much.

Fedorov.

19. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

No this is actually a problem with the HIPS driver. This issue is also there in the official kerio forum. Kerio has acknowledged the problem and a fix will be available soon.

20. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.