Kerio, LnS, Sygate, OP -- which?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For sundry reasons, I must seek out a new firewall.

The only ones I am now considering are Kerio [free], LookNStop [not free], Sygate [free], & OP ver 2 [not free].

I have already read the firewall reviews by wilders.org, which is a main basis for my *short list* as set forth above.

The firewall I pick must (a) Do a good job, & (b) Be reasonably light on computer resources.

Effectiveness is important because I am dislike it when strangers start groping my computer's private parts. Low resource usage is important beause my computer is [like me] old & slow.

I would greatly appreciate your comments -- especially from actual users of any of the above FW.

aloha.......bellgamin

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin.

I have had all four at some time over the past year and a half.

I'd look at LooknStop and Outpost Pro 2.0 a little closer.
    They run light and give stealth results at Sheilds Up and auditmypc.com.

With LnS and dialup,I added four rules.That's easily done with an option from the log.
    Load "enhanced rules set" and you have excellent protection.Phantom has even more secure rules sets that he has provided via download.
    LnS has a back-trace feature.
    The support,particularly in this forum is great.

Outpost Pro has a "Rules Wizard" which is easy to use.
    The default pre sets are helpful.
    The support forum is good for OP Pro too.
    It has an AdBlock plugin included as well as Attack Detection,Attachment Filter,DNS Cache etc..
    All four are good,
    But I would recommend trying these two first.
    That's just my opinion only. ;)

3. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

bellgamin, I am bias and say go with Outpost
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

As Tester stated
    Give them a try, they are both fine,fine firewalls
    and you know where the forum is--->
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/index.php?s=
    ~have a great night :)

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey bellgamin

I highly recommend giving Look ‘n’ Stop Personal Firewall a try.
    And if you don’t mind visiting http://www.wilderssecurity.info/Why.shtml, this is some of the reasons I prefer Look ‘n’ Stop Personal Firewall overall else… ;)

5. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I think there is nothing wrong with Kerio (2.15) as well.
    It can be configured to be stealth ;)
    Dolf

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

In addition; Encase you’ve not used Look ‘n’ Stop before or in awhile here is Look ‘n’ Stop Simulation if you don’t mind visiting http://www.wilderssecurity.info/Features.shtml. For further screenshots visit http://www.wilderssecurity.info/Screenshots.shtml. :D

7. bellgamin

Thanks to all for the suggestions -- especially Phant0m & hayc59

I am dropping Kerio from consideration because of the adverse comments in their forum thread at...
    THIS URL

I am in a dilemma between LnS & Outpost 2. I like them both. However, I am also interested in a firewall named "Private Firewall" which I read about at...
    THIS URL

Private Firewall is $30 -- $9 less than LnS & OP. This is a significant difference to me right now. If I scarf up the extra 9$ or find a discount, I will buy LnS or OP. Otherwise I will buy Private Firewall UNLESS someone here has heard something bad about that firewall.

This is NOT an easy decision for me. Any help or suggestions will be most gratefully appreciated.

thanks.......bellgamin

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi bellgamin

Have you taken the time to trial each of these? The decision should be based on which one you are most comfortable with and best suits your requirements.

I have not heard anything bad about Private Firewall, it also has a trial version you may want to look at first before deciding. I did look at it quite some time ago when it was Deerfield Personal Firewall, but I imagine there has been changes since then.

Regards,

CrazyM

9. bellgamin

Reluctantly I shall do a trial of LnS & Private FW [I am already familiar with OP].

In fact, I am most hesitant to do trials of FWs because they are functioning deep inside a computer's innermost areas, & uninstalling them can be tricky.

I had a truly horrible experience a few years back in uninstalling Zone Alarm. I was using Clean Sweep back then. Believe me, Clean Sweep did NOT live up to its name in my repeated attempts to get rid of every last miserable stinking shred of ZA.

I now use Total Uninstall which has always worked perfectly for me, so I fervently hope that nothing like the ZA nightmare occurs this time around.

I'm still very much hoping for comments from anyone who has had experience with one or another of these firewalls.

grace & peace to all.......bellgamin

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi bellgamin

While you may be reluctant, taking advantage of the free trials is usually a good idea. They afford you the opportunity to determine if "Product X" is really what you want before committing and spending your money.

If you are using something like Total Uninstall, the removal of the trials should not be an issue. I know ZA has improved it's uninstall routine, and I experienced no issues at all with LnS, OP or Kerio.

As for general comments on the firewalls you are considering, LnS and Outpost are both excellent. While the jury may still be out on Kerio v4.x, Kerio v2.15 is also a great firewall. The dilemma now, as you no doubt are aware, is which one best suits you. I cannot comment on Private Firewall, not having tried it.

Take your time, try each of your top contenders, and hopefully the choice will become clear.

Regards,

CrazyM

11. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

There is a huge difference between Kerio 2, and Kerio 4. Kerio 2.1.5 is a stable release, and likely was the version they meant to suggest. If you look on the english website they finally put 4x back in the beta section as it was obvious they were trying to rush the project.

Since you have seen that thread, I assume you have also seen the 2x default replacment rule set thread? That mentions that there will be little to no support with use in 4x due to its nature.

12. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I would suggest you trial Kerio 2.1.5 also. Its really a sweet little firewall. If you need any help setting it up check out the dslreports kerio forum as it can be a big help. Look 'n' Stop is also a wonderful little firewall. Either one you can't go wrong with.

Haven't heard of Private firewall before. But hey give them all a try and find one you feel most confortable with. It can take some time but in the end you will be happy you did it. If your using Total Uninstall then go for it!

13. bellgamin

@ duke & blitz -- Many thanks for the tip on Kerio 2.1.5. I now see that Kerio's 4.x versions have indeed reverted to beta, whereas 2.1.5 is very well liked indeed.

Ergo, I have reinstated kerio to my short list.

aloha from Hawaii.......bell

14. caliswain

caliswain Registered Member

I have tried Privatefirewall and it works very well without too many unnecessary bells & whistles (see zone alarm =).

I think Deerfield Personal Firewall and Privatefirewall are the same so either one would work, but I think Deerfield no longer sells it.

www.privacyware.com still offers a direct purchase of Privatefirewall.

FYI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.