Kerio failed these tests...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Slovak, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Using the latest Kerio, I decided to test the firewall with the tests from this site http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jugesoftware/firewallleaktester/eng/index.html
    Anyway, my firewall failed these tests....firehole, pcaudit, pcaudit2, thermite, copycat, and awft(firewall scored only a 1). What can I do to pass these tests? Do I need to try a different firewall?

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hey sloval,
    Kerio is primarily a rule-bound firewall and it works as you set it. Dont Know if that is too referrable to a beginner.
    Next, these tests are not everything if not anything always and once they are done, your firewall normally makes rulesets on own(dont know for kerio as its user controllable firewall)
    I better tell you to go for Zonealarm or Outpost as they are program-dependent and not user-controlled.
    More comments will be coming

3. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I wish I could use Zone Alarm, but every time I install it my computer will not restart, have to always reboot to safe mode and uninstall just to get to windows again. o_O

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

:eek: after you install ZA, your computer wont restart.. now that is exceptional.
    try for outpost once and see if same happens

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Why Outpost? Should I uninstall Kerio, or just shut it down?

6. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Slovax....you seem to be getting a head of yourself.. zone alarm will install on any windows operating system...win95-winXP....obviously there is a problem....an it may be very wise to locate the problem before trying to install yet another firewall
    Have seen your posts regarding the zone alarm issue..other than un-installing ZA using the safe zone....have you done anything to locate the cause of the problem?? Left-overs from un-installing ZA may cause another firewall to have issues. Kerio seemed to work ok for you.....leak test are another issue entirely.....point is....whats the deal with ZA??
    If ZA is the firewall you want to use..then find a way to use it..by finding out what the problem is...people here will help you...it may take some time...

7. notageek

notageek Registered Member

You can pass them leaktests. Just download SSM and don't allow them tests out. :)

8. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Slovax

Please ignor my last post. After reading other posts you made on the ZA issue I noticed you were already advised of a possible problem. So good luck.....wish you well on this

9. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

What's SSM?

10. notageek

System saftey monitor. I hope he didn't change the name again. ;)

11. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Can you provide a link for me?

12. notageek

Sure can. :)
    http://www.maxcomputing.narod.ru

here's the link to the english site.
    http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/indexe.html?lang=en

13. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Slovak,

While I think SSM is a good recommendation, I believe a couple of other points may be useful to you.

First according to Guillaume's (gkweb's) site certain tests can defeat every popular firewall at the highest setting. Changing firewalls probably won't allow you to pass all those tests anyway.

Second, If you have Kerio locked up as tight as possible, you're pretty safe indeed (IMO, it's a fine firewall). See other posts that question the real value of passing all those tests. You should probably do some research at the Kerio forum to make sure you've done all you can.

Finally, you might be better off turning your attention to a new layer of protection, like a program sandbox (SSM) or even a router with its own firewall.

Just my two cents, offered cordially.

Optigrab ;)

14. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

good point Optigrab, i have almost nothing to add ;)

just a thing : when next Process Guard version will be released (v2.000), take a look at it, it could be something you will love :rolleyes:

15. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I have a router, so technically speaking I have a hardware firewall, but I am downloading SSM now.

16. notageek

Make sure you block these tests when you run them with SSM.

17. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Still downloading, taking a while even with a business class dsl connection o_O

18. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

mirror on my website :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jugesoftware/ssm.zip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.