kerio and ie rules

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lasu, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasu

lasu Registered Member

hi again,
    this just doesnt seem right. do i need all these rules for ie. if i deny anyone of these ip's ie stops loading.
    what is 'everybodys internet'. using karens whois and google i found everybodys internet but that is needed to get ie on the net here. slightly paronoid about this 'everybodys internet' thing;-).

thanks in advance,
    L

Attached Files:

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should only need one rule for IE, your local ports are ok, remote should be Any address, ports 80,443,8080 and perhaps a few others as needed. Do you have a loopback rule at the top of your rules? You will need that to allow loopback traffic for all apps. Allow TCP/UDP to remote address 127.0.0.1/Any ports outbound only, local ports Any. There should be no need for specific addresses in your IE rule at all. That won't work. Try adding the loopback rule at the top of your rule set. Or better yet, see BZ's replacement rule set and modify it for your needs:

Here's a link: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708

3. lasu

lasu Registered Member

hi Kerodo,
    i have the loopback rule in place at the top and its setup as you described. i deleted all but 1 ie rule and edited it to the settings you suggested and bingo, all is well;-). i only use ie for ms updates but the popups were a hassel and i new something wasnt right.
    who/what is this 'everybody internet' about? when i googled it, it didnt sound as if it was something i wanted getting in/out but by denying it i couldnt get online w/ie. now i can though.
    ill look into the default rules by BZ. i have looked them over but really didnt know what all i was looking at. as you can tell im a newbie at rule based fw's so im careful about jumping in over my head, as if this isnt;-).
    thank you for the quick responce, wow i should have checked back sooner but was holding down the couch. tough job you know;-D
    thanks again for the solution, much appreciated;-).

L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.