Kerio 4.2 vs. Kerio 2.15

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Stallcup, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stallcup

Stallcup Registered Member

I uninstalled the (bloated) Norton NIS 2005 and replaced it with Kerio 4.2 and AVG AntiVirus 7.0.338, and I am pleased with both the performance and net resource savings (NIS 2005 versus Kerio 4.2 + AVG 7.0). I understand that Kerio 2.15 would result in more resource savings, but I am unclear as to the performance differences between 4.2 and 2.15. Can someone point out the performance capability difference between 4.2 and 2.15?

2. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 is a very light and simple firewall with no frills, where as Kerio 4.2 contains lots of extras such as web content filtering, IDS etc.

Both are pretty good, but Kerio 4.2 is slower than Kerio 2.15, uses more memory and the GUI (not the firewall) is prone to lock up's when using P2P programs.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As Syncman9 points out, I think Kerio 2 might give slightly better performance. Better logging as well, and uses only 5.7mb ram on my 2k machine here.

Also, if you want a good free AV you might try Avast. It is even better than AVG (in my humble opinion of course)... ;)

4. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

kerio 2.15 is lighter on resources, but Kerio 4.x provides a HIPS (Host Intrusion defense system) i believe (think of it as another layer of defense). However, 4.x is a bit bloated, but not that much. The only problem with kerio 2.15 is that it is not that secure on its own (fails leaktests). If you decide to go with kerio 2.15 (be sure to use the BZ ruleset) try and get proccessguard or a similar program (safe 'n sec comes to mind) to run with it.

Also, try out some more free antiviruses. Avast and Antivir both have better detection rates i believe, and keep bitdefender free as an alternate scanner.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yes... ;) Avast! I think is very compatible w/ Kerio 4.2 and w/ the Avast! Network Shield and WebShield you are a way more safer than AVG.

6. Did anybody test Kerio 2.1.5 with online tests?

I am behing router and would be nice if somebody can test it just to make sure i can install it on friends PC.

7. kerioo

kerioo Guest

If you have Kerio with BZ's ruleset, everything will be stealthed*. Online tests i did were from : grc.com, pcflank.com (With Quick Test, even a fully stealthed router will not be stealthed. Pcflank is buggy), Sygate Scan, blackcode.com.

8. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I use AVAST with ZA free.

I feel Kerio 2.1.5 is a great application, but I am not sure about AVG, detection is not as good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.