Kerio 2.x Alternative?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Nevolia-C, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevolia-C

Nevolia-C Registered Member

Since Kerio 2.x doesnt filter ipv6, sooner or later I have to give it up.
    I've tried other firewalls like comodo and zonealarm but I'm not satisfied with both of them for their poorer configurability.
    I like the logic of how kerio works: rule-based, all rule including application rules and network rules on one page can be moved up and down.
    Is there any firewall as logical as kerio 2.x ?
    any recommendations?.

2. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Jetico v1 and v2

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMHO, Jetico is the firewall closest to how Kerio works.

4. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I used Tiny/Kerio 2.x for years. I made the switch to Jetico 1.x awhile back on my main system, on my laptop which I barely use I still have Kerio 2.1.5 installed however. Jetico v1.0.1.61 is very lightweight and offers plenty of configurability in its rules. The only problem with it is that it doesn't update the hash automatically in your rules when you update a program. So you have to create new ones. Other then that its a pretty solid firewall. At first it can be a little difficult since there are a bunch of different tables to navigate through. The good thing is that its highly flexible, so you can reduce the amount of tables if you like. I only have like 5 tables in mine. I would highly recommend reading the help file which comes with the firewall to learn and understand it better.

Other then Jetico, you might want to try Look'n'Stop firewall.

5. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi 12 fw,

{PCTools version of Look'nStop}

Is the PC Tools firewall a take off of LNS or how is it a version?

Best,
    Jerry

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I use LnS on my desktop, and Kerio 2.1.5 on my laptop. Neither gives me any problems. I like them both. I might download the PC Tools version for future use in case.

Best,
    Jerry

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I am also a user of both firewalls. :thumb:

10. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

PC Tools licensed the use of Look 'n Stop as the base for development of their firewall.

11. ZZZ

ZZZ Registered Member

Hi, there

I spotted a review at Softpedia about PC Tools Firewall Plus, which doesn't seem to be impressed.

Although I am skeptic of the reviews at the site and I wonder how much time the reviewer spent on tightening up the out-of-box rules, I cannot but question some design decisions such as the incapability of choosing a certain apps for a certain rules. Once an application is allowed, it seems that it can use every single rule on the list. Am I wrong here? Maybe, this is because I am accustomed to Kerio/Jetico style firewall and that I expect firewalls to work in their ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.