Kerio 2.1.5/Outpost Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by risl, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. risl

risl Registered Member

Hello,

I've been looking for a replacement for basic Windows Firewall and tested many of the modern and trendy firewalls. The thing is, I don't want all those fancy HIPS features and so on, just simple intrusion protection and application control for internet access. I used TPF 5.5 in the past. I would use Look'n'Stop but I hate it when I tick "allow" for an application but still inbound connections for it are blocked and I would have to make extra rules.

The question is, is Outpost free or KPF 2.1.5 any good these days? (I don't care about latest leak tests and so on .. just something to replace Windows XP firewall)

Thanks

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

KPF 2.1.5 allows powerful rule settings, has a decent HIPS too.

Incontrast Outpost Free is just another rule based firewall which stopped production at ver. 1.0.

I would choose Kerio. Still got lot of people using it and so you can get help off forums easily.

3. risl

risl Registered Member

Outpost already gave me a BSOD so I'm testing KPF atm.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I would suggest 2.15 myself and been using it ever since Windows 98 without so much as a glitch or issue and obsolete as it may seem, it stands up STRONG even in today's field on XP Pro which i use. I also use Blitzen's Advanced Rulesets from DSL Reports to carefully fine tune it's rules. It's proven way better IMO then today's commercial offerings which now throw in HIPS and border on bloat that always creates more problems then a user needs to deal with.

Kerio 2.15 for me is a relic of monumental proportions with very little shortcomings, and is "LITE" as a firewall should be given the fact most users have a huge regiment of many other security programs, and so far none of them is caused a problem with Kerio since i been using it for years.

Some will argue this one and that one is better, handles packets better, has self-protection, etc. all which may be true, but nothing is been safer on this end for me then Kerio or i would have dropped it long ago. Instead, it holds it's own very well IMHO and i haven't met one yet that convinced me to change from it.

EASTER

5. vijayind

Guess, this going to be a short thread then :D

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Another candidate for you might be the old Sygate firewall. It's light and fast with good logging, a decent gui, and nothing too complicated. Here are the last builds available posted on another thread here at Wilders:

http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Can you please eleborate a little on why you think that KPF 2.15 has the ability to act of an HIPS?

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It doesn't, he's thinking of Kerio 4.x most likely......

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I thought so.

10. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've ran both firewalls in the past. My favorite is kerio 2.1.5. I'm currently running commodo firewall and love it. However, I installed kav antivirus 7.0, and it doesn't seem to run well with commodo. I'm probably going back to kerio 2.1.5 . I ran kerio for about 2 or 3 years without any problems.

11. vijayind

Yes, I was. Sorry got it mixed up .... :'(

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

There are plenty of free options for you to try, zonealarm, filseclab, ashampoo, online armor, rising to name a few.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Maybe hes thinking of the md5 authentication in it?
    ellison

14. risl

risl Registered Member

I think I'll stick with KPF, seems to be the "pure" firewall that I was looking for. Shame though that there are only a few of those left these days. :)

15. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It is a shame but the trend is in the opposite direction. Most users want everything combined into one package, and they want that package to configure itself. Most users don't want to learn to write firewall rules. Then there's those stinking leaktests, many of which imitate conditions that would only be possible on an infected system.There's one more strike against Kerio 2. It doesn't run on Vista. For users who are willing to learn a little about firewall rules and basic internet protocol, and are running an OS between Win95 and XP, Kerio 2.1.5 will do very well.

16. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Can someone provide a downloadlink for KPF 2.1.5?

17. noone_particular

18. Stijnson

Thanks! Is Kerio 2.1.5. easy to set up?
    In other words, can I set-and-forget or does it need extensive user input.

I'm behind a home router so I'm basically looking for a firewall to complement it (if I need one that is...).

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

If you are behind a router, there is nothing to do, just install it and you are OK. You may always add or tweak some of your rules later.

20. noone_particular

Kerio is only as good as the rules it's using. It can be used in a "set and forget" manner but it won't be as effective as it can be. Kerio's strength is the ability to match its rules to your system, allowing only what is needed and blocking the rest. The ruleset can be as simple or as complex as you want. My ruleset has 85 rules. Not using it this way defeats the purpose of having a rule based firewall. You can start with using it "as installed" but I'd suggest that you learn the basics of firewall rules and IP protocol, then start tightening them up. If "set and forget" is the priority and learning the details you need to take control of the traffic thru your system is more than you want to do or have time for, then there are better firewalls more suited to what you want.

The number one criteria for choosing a firewall is its compatibility to the skills of the user, not leaktest results, not additional features like HIPS, NIPS, and other little quips, not even lightness and lack of bloat. All the features and configurability in the world is useless if the user know or have time to learn to use them.

21. Stijnson

As a matter of fact this applies to me -:)
    What (free) firewalls would suit these needs in your opinion?

22. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Then use the other highly regarded golden oldie on that page posted by Kerodo at post #6, "Sygate" http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215. Download the newest 5.6 version...:thumb:. It's still a terrific pure firewall and easy to set up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  23. Stijnson

Thanks for the tip. I have taken a look on the website you mention and I see quite a few versions of Sygate there.

Which of the 5.6 versions should I download and should I get Sygate or Sygate Pro?
    What's with the date on that page anyway (17.11.200:cool:?

24. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The Pro version has more features, but I'd stick with the Free version because the Pro may need a serial/key. Not sure... Actually, I don't remember on that, I'm thinking the Pro beta versions didn't need a serial, so you may be ok on that after all. Best if you check. But the Free version is good and light, the Pro just offers more advanced features that you may or may not want or need. Also, the Free version has a limit on the number of custom rules you can have, the Pro is unlimited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.