Kerio 2.1.5???? old ZA what is best & where

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Wills, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I mentioned that I tried ZA Pro 5, much more than a firewall and too many bells and whistles. I got rid of the resource hog. I am still looking for a good firewall that is simply a "firewall" and no popup blocker etc. and all these other goodies that I don't want.

In viewing other forums I see Kerio 2.1.5 touted as a good basic firewall.

Is there a lot of rule setting as is mentioned with sygate?

I am a Novice and learn by research and by reading.

I look forward to all replies and experiences, thankyou.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might check these kerio 2.1.5 settings here

bigc

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, Kerio 2.1.5 is all rule driven. You pretty much have to like rules to use Kerio I would say. If you prefer something simpler, you might want to consider something else. It's not hard to learn with a little effort though.

4. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

BigC's link will give you a good basic default ruleset to D/L and install in Kerio 2.1.5 and also other good information on rules. If you follow BZ's instruction it is very easy to install the rules.
    It is not hard to learn but you will have to spend some time at it. I am a novice also and previously used Sygate.

5. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Ditto to everything Honyak said. I also went from sygate to kero 2.1.5. I also followed BZ's instructions. The kerio-tiny support forum over at dslreports.com will help you a lot. It's not that hard to set up kerio. It will require some effort on your part to learn how to make rules. Don't let rulemaking intimidate you. You can do it.

There are lots of screenshots from various people displaying their rules...to see if they are correct. I suggest you follow bigc link above and read BZ's tutorial. Then go to the kerio - tiny support forum located Here You will get lots of information. Kerio is a great firewall. I like it better than any firewall I've ever tried.

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

If I needed a lightweight firewall, I would absolutely take a good look at Kerio 2.1.5 or, if you're running Win98, even the old Tiny Personal if you can find it. It won't run on my XP box.

As for ZoneAlarm, I'm currently running it (again) for a while, the latest version (free version) and, surprisingly to me, I see almost no slowdown. I don't know if it's my imagination or if maybe ZA finally got something fixed. So far, I haven't got a single complaint about this newest ZA update.

7. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Chuck57,
    Which one won't run on your XP box? I've installed Kerio 2.1.5 on several XP units, with excellent results. The only OS I've ever had problems installing it on is winME.
    I do have a copy of Tiny 2.0.15 if anyone needs it.
    Rick

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

"Chuck57,
    Which one won't run on your XP box? I've installed Kerio 2.1.5 on several XP units, with excellent results. The only OS I've ever had problems installing it on is winME.
    I do have a copy of Tiny 2.0.15 if anyone needs it.
    Rick"

Tiny won't run on my XP Home.

Kerio 2.1.5 works fine and, when I tire of ZA, I might go back to it.

Tiny was the first firewall I ever used, several years ago after being warned that I should have one. I loved it. That was on a Win 98SE box.

9. Wills

Wills Registered Member

i appreciate the comments. Thankyou. the version of Zone Alarm that I had problems with slowing my box was the Pro 5 purchase version.
    It did so many more things than just being a firewall and it seemed to have incompatibilities according to our office techie with some of the programs i had running on my box and my other colleagues didn't.
    But ZAP is history, I don't want to belabour it.

Just a couple of more questions, I see members moving from Sygate to Kerio 2.1.5 and wondered what the reasons were.
    Does Sygate have a lot of rule setting to.

i believe the comments that I had read about Sygate is that it has a steep learning curve, somewhat intimidating!!

Is this Tiny Firewall available yet and where might I find it.

Does it check both in and outgoing info of the computer or just incoming like Windows XP??

And is the footprint Bigo_O

Thankyou

10. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

kerodo

Sygate is actually quite simple to learn and use. Much easier than Kerio. It does have rules, but it's primarily app oriented as opposed to rule oriented.

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I don't know if Tiny 2.0.15 is still available to download. I do have a copy, but Kerio 2.1.5 is the better choice. It's very much like Tiny. Can even detect and import Tiny's rulesets. The different screens are almost the same. On mine Kerio uses just a bit over 5mb of memory. Never checked what Tiny used. When Shields Up upgraded their port scanner to check the first 1056 ports, Tiny had trouble stealthing ports 0 (nul port) and 1. Kerio fixed that. One of the best features they added was the ability to export the ruleset as a file. Very handy for system backups. The size difference between the 2 isn't much. Kerio 2.1.5 is 2.12mb. Tiny 2.0.15 is 1.38mb. Kerio does run very well on win98 as well as on XP. Both control inbound and outbound traffic. Neither is actually difficult to use. Writing firewall rules just takes a little practice. Kerio does come with an excellent help file too. Tiny doesn't have one. That help file is responsible for most of the size difference between the 2. If you do decide you want Tiny, I can send you a copy if you don't find it. I also have an old copy of ZA free, 3.1 if anyone wants it.
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.