Kerio 2.1.5 Error (Keep Getting This)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SwiftWind, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwiftWind

SwiftWind Registered Member

I've been using Kerio 2.1.5 for quite awhile now and have enjoyed it because it doesn't hog resources and such. I'm posting because recently I've been getting an error which is "To Many Applications Already Registered....

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this error?

Thanks......

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I don't know what Kerio's limit is on the number of registered applications. I presently have 78 separate signatures on mine. Either you have a lot of internet apps or a lot of old entries that need to be removed.

On the advanced screen, open the "Application's MD5" tab. Use "check all paths" to remove signatures for apps that have been moved, uninstalled, or no longer exist. Also use the "select all" and "check MD5 now" options while you're there to check the rest and remove any invalid ones.This should give you the room you need.
    Rick

3. SwiftWind

SwiftWind Registered Member

Ok, I'll do that.....

Thanks for your help.......

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You can REMOVE some apps and that should trim down enough apps to free up the messages you been getting.

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Rick:

Stem suggested I try "Kerio2...an application/ packet filter" on my xp sp2 system which I will proceed to do.

Do you or any Kerio users have the best/safest site where I can start the process of installing it?

I backed up my entire drive to an external HD and to 4 DWD's so I'm ready. ( I think)
    Any do's and don't people have for me in advance would be welcome!

6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Hi Escalader.

This forum has a link to download the install file:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

You can also use the Search feature to find old posts from many years there.
    You will have to build your own ruleset.
    Kerio 2.1.5 comes with a default ruleset that some say is not so secure. I always just used BZ template as a starting point, so i cannot say what if any is bad about the default ruleset. Even the BZ ruleset that is explained in this thread, is best to be modified for your connection type and only used as a starting point:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10594112

Kerio 2.1.5 has a good help file.

You will be in good company using kerio 2.1.5. I am also using it now again after a few excursions to Comodo firewall. Kerio 2.x is not a leaktest passer. It is rather a good TCP/IP packet filter firewall that can give you more information about programs you run in your computer and their connection to internet than for example Comodo.

Jarmo

7. Escalader

Hi Jarmo good to "see" you!

That's good to hear, can I ask you questions on Kerio as I go along?

here is the 1st (dumb) no doubt did you drop the SW FW when putting in Kerio? I think in my case the answer is yes.

But I'm asking any way!

Edit: Stems post is
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=181849.

Upon rereading it it says add to my set up. What do you use for a FW now yourself?

8. Escalader

Status Report 1 on Kerio 2.1.5

I un-installed PC Tools FW, 1 click and it uninstalls it self, as easy as with CFW.

Did a registry clean up and rebooted and defragged with Perfect Disk.

Installed Kerio 2.1.5 (it is unsupported:eek: ) but support on CFW 2.4 is frozen as well. Will rely on the forum for help.:thumb:

Kerio goes staright into learning mode which basicaly asks do you allow access to BD for update etc etc, you decide and also click to let it make an "appropriate rule". How appropriate these rules are is the key thing I suspect.

I will continue along this road and report more later.

Right now it is just rule creation...

9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Yes, I did uninstall Comodo first.

That "learning mode" is the normal mode for running kerio 2.1.5. Those rules for BD etc. are same as with other firewalls, they are application rules. You can restrict them "on the flight" to only those usually remote ports needed, even to specific IP (ranges) that perhaps can be possible with some security program updates if the update servers don't change too often. You can set those rules to log or even alert with a popup window to see how your programs you are curious about connect to internet.

What is the more interesting and needs more learning is those system protection rules that are before your application rules. You have to fine tune them yourself. My current rules are shown in the first post i made for one specific subject.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180932

You could post a new thread if you have something specific to ask, but pls don't ask me about my rules. They are just originated from BZ default replacement "template" rules with some changes that apply to my cable modem connection.

Jarmo

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 might since it's considered a relic by now have some holes but i can attest from experience for going on 4 years that it is never let me down. Thanks to HIPS, if by chance something did happen to slip past, even to start a shell, HIPS catches it.

I been over this ground before but still is worth the appreciation and thanks which goes out to herbalist for first introducing me to Kerio 2.15 to begin with when ZA just crumbled into oblivion, either leaving my system wide open for intrusion or else disabling my internet when i needed it most.

Kerio 2.15 changed all of that and i still run it in XP Pro and don't install or reinstall a single system without first.

I tried the rest but stayed with the best. It's light as a feather and quite configurable and watches like a Hawk!

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I think that would be the best direction.
    We can go through any needed rules. They may be too open after installation, but "Escalader" is behind a router firewall and hardware filter, so no panick.

12. Escalader

Hi Stem, Herbalist, Jarmo et al!

I will start a new learning thread now for Kerio 2.1.5 my learner questions any Kerio user/potential user can join as far as I'm concerned!

Title of Thread:

How to Optimize Security in Kerio 2.1.5 -Learning Thread 3

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i haven't read the whole thread but herbalist is correct you have to delete software from one of kerio's lists. i had this error once when i copied kerio files from an old install to a new one, clearing out old software fixed it.

14. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

also another handy tweak if you get any buffer errors in kerio 2.1.5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.