Keep previous backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ChrisJD, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisJD

ChrisJD Registered Member

I am using True Image 9.0, build 2,302 on XP

If I understand correctly, only the secure zone allows automatic retention and eventual overwriting of successive backups, if this is not used there will only ever be one full backup.

As I am backing up over a network, it seems that secure zone is not appropriate. Is there any way to ensure that I can retain some backup history?

Chris

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Chris,

If you assign a different file name to each successive full image you create without the use of Secure Zone, no previous image stored on disk will get overwritten. You get a growing stack of full images and after a while you delete those you think redundant and keep the important ones.

3. ChrisJD

Thanks for that, but what I really want is to be able to have it all happen automatically. I could have done manual without upgrading.

Norton Ghost 9 manages all this excellently, and I am still using it for my data partition. Unfortunately, there is a conflict, also experienced by others, which results in BSOD when backing up the partition containing the operating system.

Once I discovered that it wasn't my system that was at fault, I began using a cover disk version of True Image to create manual C: backups.

I have only moved to True Image 9 hoping that full automation would be possible. The answer seems to be that, sadly, it is not.

Chris

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Chris,
    The sort of automation you require certainly is available. The latest build of version9 is 2337. I have no idea what you have available in your cover version.
    I use the simplest method of all which is a secure zone on a slave drive. There is room on my machine for six full backups automatically managed on a FIFO basis.
    Setting up the right kind of backup schedule could also suit your purposes . Have a look at the Schedule task wizard, with a bit of ingenuity the possibilities are endless. You could for example set up differently named tasks for each day of the week which would automatically be overwritten day by day the following week.

Xpilot.

5. jamesv

jamesv Registered Member

No, he specifically does NOT want to keep his backup locally, i.e. no secure zone.

I'm in the same boat. I do not keep backups for a system on that system. I actually use cheap NAS units (Linksys NSLU2) and back up to those. TrueImage does not have a useful way to do this automatically; Ghost does. I would dump Ghost today if I could.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi jamesv,

I was not aware that ATI scheduled tasks cannot be run over a network so I stand corrected.

Xpilot.

7. Mem

Mem Registered Member

nm
    Edit: I also didn't realize scheduled tasks don't run over a network....

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

What!! Surely there must be some confusion here o_O. As far as I'm aware (although I haven't tried it myself) True Image can create images to a networked drive when using its Scheduler.

In addition, there are plenty of previous threads in this forum on how to set up the Schedule Task Wizard to automatically manage the total number and rollback capability of TI's images.

Regards

9. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Yes, there is some confusion, but not on your part. TI can send images over a network using the scheduler. It can't have a Secure Zone elsewhere on the network, but it can store images to a network disk.:cool:

10. Menorcaman

Hi there Oz,

Thanks for the confirmation and additional clarification regarding the SZ. I usually restrict my comments to areas for which I have experience (using TI over a network not being one of them). However, the idea that TI was incapable of scheduling images over a network had me spluttering in my Rioja and unable to bite my tongue!!

Regards

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  11. ChrisJD

If you read my original posting you will see that I am actually running True Image 9.0, build 2,302. (It was only last week that I loaded it, and and immediately updated, better check again.) The cover disk version was the one I had to run manually, and I was hoping for full automation from the upgrade.

I appreciate that I could use my second hard disk for Secure Zone backups, but I feel that it is safer to backup to another machine. Having said that, as I have the space there is probably no harm in belt and braces.

As it is only my operating system partition that I have to entrust to True Image (like I said, Norton Ghost does fine for my data - no hassle, no need for any tortuous fudging), then weekly backups are fine.

Thanks for the suggestion to use several different backups, I hadn't thought of that approach. I have now set up separate ones up for first, second, third, fourth and last Saturday. Shame it won't do fifth, I'll just have to let it run two on the last Sat of most months.

Chris

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Uninstall 2302 and then install 2337. Check the Help/About for the new build No. Then burn a new rescue CD.

Enjoy.

Xpilot.

13. ChrisJD

Just out of curiosity, is this a bug which prevents the existing version from being updated?

Where does the program keep all the scheduling data?

Chris

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes there is a bug in the 2337 installer.

At the foot of the Acronis main page or do you mean something else?

Xpilot

15. ChrisJD

No, I was thinking to myself, if I uninstall the program, I don't want to wipe out the scheduling data.

Having looked at all the files in the True Image program directory, none of them are showing a recent "date modified", so what I meant was, where is it?

Chris

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I am reasonably sure that scheduling data is retained through the uninstall/update process . However to be certain you really need a reply from Acronis or someone like Menorcaman .

Xpilot.

17. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Try C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

18. Menorcaman

Alternatively, depending on your own specific Windows installation setup, it could be under:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

Note that for True Image 8.0 the scheduling scripts are located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

If I remember rightly, when upgrading from TI 8.0 to TI 9.0, the installer doesn't move the old scripts to the appropriate new location.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.