keep having to resize partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nih, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nih

nih Registered Member

We are using TI server 9.1 which backs up to a Dell powervault tape drive.

We keep a backup server at one of our offsite locations that is the exact same hardware configuration as the live server and I am testing our backup plans by restoring the image from the tape drive to the secondary server.

The server consists of 2 RAID arrays, Disk0 is a RAID 1 with 2 drives that holds the OS, Log, apps, mbr and track 0 partitions. Disk1 is a RAID 5 with the database and data partitions.

The "problem" occurs when I try to choose the restore location for Disk0, I choose the entire disk (all partitions checked off) but when I get to the screen to choose where I want to restore the image to the Disk0 is greyed out however it does show the size of the disk and it is the same as the live system. The only way I can choose Disk0 is if I choose the option to resize partitions, this takes about 3 hours running from the tape drive. The spare Disk0 is exactly the same size as the live system and the partitions on it are exactly the same size as well. I tried to wipe out the RAID config and re-do it and I still have to choose "resize partitions"

The larger Disk1 array does not have this problem, I can choose to restore to that drive without having to resize partitions. What could be the issue that is makes me HAVE to resize partitions in order to make that disk available to restore to? I have tried replacing the 2 harddrives with 2 others and still have this issue. The only other variable I can see is the tape drive on the backup system is an older Dell Powervault but I don't think that should matter. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nih,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows

First of all please make sure that you are using the latest build of the program. Check it in Help -> About. You can always download the latest build of the program from your account under Registered Products.

Have you tried to validate image for errors using validation tool within the program? Do you use Acronis bootable disc or restore the image from Windows? What is the size of the backup and the capacity of your Disk0?

I would recommend you to check Disk0 for bad blocks and file system errors. Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. nih

nih Registered Member

I am using the boot disk to restore to the second server and the Disk0 is exactly the same size as the live server, I even tried a new set of drives that were also the same size.

The image is validated for errors each night as part of the backup process. I will try to run the chkdsk command and post back with the results but as I said I have tried 2 different sets of drives.

edit: I also wanted to add that the restore job freezes with about 15-20 seconds left. If you reboot the system it comes up ok but the restore never actually completes fully.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. nih

nih Registered Member

To add to this I am seeing the restore job freeze with around 15 seconds left at "synchronizing with the operating system", I left it on all weekend and it was still stuck at this point.

Also the tape we are restoring from is password protected, Acronis never asks me to enter the password the first time I start a restore job, I have to start a job, cancel it and start another before it prompts me for the password.

5. Acronis Support

Hello nih,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows

Can you please send me your serial number for Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows via PM so I can provide you ISO image of Acronis bootable disc which should solve the issue?

Can you please also clarify the exact vendor and model of the tape drive?

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

6. nih

nih Registered Member

PM has been sent. Thank you

7. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.