Keep having to Clear Update Cache on Server

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bradtech, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I get download interrupts from clients. I clear the update cache on the server, and force updates they start working. Problem is I have been sick and out of the office for 3 days, and this is something I do not want to keep having to do as time goes on. What could be causing this problem where I have to keep clearing the update cache on the server or everyones NOD icon turns Orange, and updates are failed?

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

A failing disk on the RAS when it tries to write out the definition updates to the mirror directory could cause symptoms you are describing.

3. bradtech

bradtech Guest

What else could be causing the problem. I do not believe the Disks are faulty.

4. Stealth111

Stealth111 Registered Member

I have been experiencing the same problems since the very first day I installed RAS on my Server 2008 x64 box (2 months ago). I tried EVERYTHING to get it working. Disable firewall completely. Stopped doing any kind of installations from the console at all. I did notice (maybe a mere coincidence) that when I did clear the cache right before a weekend, it did seem to still be working when I got back on Monday. But after the school week started and the 1000+ machines started wanting updates it failed AS USUAL. ESET knows there is a problem. I actually was working with a tech from ESET 2 weeks ago about some other issues, and I brought up the RAS update problem. He immediately went to the statement about clearing the cache and the problem would immediately go away. IT did go away, but only for 1 day. I am personally getting very frustrated at the lack of resolution for the problems I am having. I am going to do more testing to see if it is a problem that is from too many clients trying to get updates from the 1 server or not.

5. bradtech

bradtech Guest

2K3 server here.. Yeah I am at a loss. It keeps doing this and I don't know what to do other than writing some script that auto clears cache every day..

6. SalC

SalC Registered Member

THis usually happens to me, when I update from one version to another on a client using the 'mirror' option.

Do this:
    - Turn off the update mirror option
    - Clear the update cache
    - Delete the files in the repository, ie: c:\nod-mirror
    - Turn ON the update mirror option (it will ask to download, say yes)
    - Force and update on the client (click update).

7. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

8. Stealth111

I have this problem EVERY couple of days. It is getting to be rather annoying. There has got to be a reason that it keep getting unstable from updates on the mirror server. I have over 1000 clients, and it is become a huge problem with the constant issues with updates failing all the time. ESET are you listeningo_O
    I will be coming for a refund of our districts money if a solution is not found soon....

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Try pushing out a configuration to the clients that has them disconnect from the server after an update. The setting is in the configuration editor under the update module>>profile>>setup>>LAN. Click on the, "Disconnect from server after update" option change the value to yes.

You may also want to increase your update interval time for the clients. You can find that setting under ESET Kernel>>Setup>>Scheduler/Planner. You will only see the task listed if you first pull the configuration from a client. Then you will see the Regular automatic update task go through it and change it to maybe 120 or 180 minutes instead of the default of 60.

-Cheers

10. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Can I just do this via policy manager?

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Yes, you can absolutely do the same thing through the policy manager.

-Cheers

12. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I did the recommendations.. Just now I got a popup on my desktop stating download interrupted.. Went to event logs and saw where everyone had download interrupt.. Cleared the update cache on my internal update server, and clicked update on my client and it went to updating immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  13. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I called Phone support and was told to uninstall Remote Admin, and Server. I did this, and then backed up all my logs, and packages from the all users profile, application data, eset.. I have updated to the newest 3.1.11 package. I was running an older version 3.0.something

I have had no failed updates during the past hour. Time will tell.

14. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Still happening even after updating to newest versions, and clean install.

15. Stealth111

I am also still having the same problem> I even went as far as doing a fresh install of the server 2008 operating system and then a clean install of the newest build 3.1.11. I am about done at this point. I now even have school kids emailing me to tell me how pathetic it is that I cannot even keep the anti virus program working in the district. I am not even going to mention about the harassment I am constantly getting from administrators about why error boxes keep popping up all the time about not being able to update or connect to the server... blah, blah, blah......

16. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I believe I may have FINALLY figured this out.. It makes sense looking back.. There is a setting in the Advanced update Setup Portion of The Update Module. I have setup Always Updated Program Components, then under HTTP Proxy Tab I changed to Do Not Use Proxy Server. I have seen several clients start updating modules, the download interrupts clear out and not come back. It Would make sense that this could be the issue since it updates over the http protocol. We use a Proxy.pac file using DHCP Option Auto configure. We have two Authenication based proxy servers and one non authenication based proxy server.. Never the less this at the moment has seemed to solve the issues.. I will know more after a couple of days..

EDIT:
    Also be sure to go into your ERA Server, Go to Server Options, Click on Other Settings, Go to Edit Advanced Settings, scroll down to update, and choose HTTP Proxy Server: Do Not Use Proxy Server..

We Run a variant of Squidguard with AD LDAP authenication,
    Bordermanager with Novell LDAP Authenication

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.