KDE neon - Weak lighting

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And here we have a long, thorough review of KDE neon, a distribution based on Kubuntu 16.04 and featuring the latest Plasma desktop environment build, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows 10 and Linux, covering live session, installation and post-install use, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Samba sharing and printing, multimedia support - HD video and MP3, smartphone support - iPhone, Ubuntu Phone and Windows Phone, partitioning, package management & updates, applications, resource usage, performance, battery life, stability, hardware support, suspend & resume, customization, numerous bugs and glitches, various problems, and more. Have fun!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kde-neon.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Mrk,

Neon is the testbed of KDE. Its rather spartan. I highly recommend if you really want to give Neon a good whirl, install Maui OS -
    its the successor to Netrunner and is based on Neon and is more of a beginner-oriented distro - has everything installed,
    except for games.

I absolutely hate default KDE icons - they just don't look good and I grabbed the Moka icon theme package. Now the icons
    look spiffed up.

Since its Ubuntu LTS-based, its going to take awhile before it settles in, bug fixes and all. We'll have to see what Plasma looks
    like in the future.

3. SuperSapien

SuperSapien Registered Member

I really enjoyed Netrunner but I never heard of Maui OS thanks for mentioning it NormanF I'll give it a try.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.